You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Quote from: Tamagno on February 16, 2017, 06:19:26 AM
The oncologist yesterday was fine. My tumor has shrunk so the surgery is all set. The PET scan didn't show any metastasis to my brain, but did turn up an aneurysm that the docs want to do more tests on.

The tumor shrinking is good news indeed. The aneurysm might not be linked to the cancer or the treatment at all. But, we'll wait to hear more from you.

BTW, I love the quote in your new signature.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

walkerwally1

102 (5.65) this morning.  Still feel slightly "under the weather"  but not bad.  Rocky, I don't think you need to feel intimidated by my numbers at all.  Sometimes I have quite low fasting #'s and then other times ?
Storm system is due to be here later today and some areas are supposed to get a lot of rain.  Los Angeles area 5-6 inches from today through the weekend!  They have let people in the Oroville flood area back into their homes with the warning to be ready to get out in a hurry.  I don't think that would give me too much confidence If I lived there.
@Tamagno, sounds like good news on the cancer, I also think it is a good thing to know about an aneurysm early when something can be done about it. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

87 (4.8) this morning. 

Tamagno - Glad to read the good news from your cancer doctor.  Wishing you continued good news.

Weather forecast here is for rain also, but since we haven't had snow since middle of December, we need moisture for the upcoming Summer crops.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Carbcrazydog

Quote from: Tamagno on February 16, 2017, 06:19:26 AM
186 this morning.

The oncologist yesterday was fine. My tumor has shrunk so the surgery is all set. The PET scan didn't show any metastasis to my brain, but did turn up an aneurysm that the docs want to do more tests on.

The Gujaratis sound swell and the 80 cent thali is very appealing. In my dotage, going out to expensive restaurants seems like a waste of money when perfectly good food can be made at home.

If you ever visit India, I will take you out for one. I agree about expensive restaurants. I should be cooking more at home. We just order in much more than needed.

Carbcrazydog

I need some advice here. I had what i thought was a relatively safe dinner but it was ordered from outside. 184 after 2 hours which is super high. I usually am around 130-150. It could have been the food or it could have been that my glucose is going beyond control. I understand that proper food control and regular testing and exercise is imminent but should I start medication and do it along with that. Or should I give it a month or so of stringent control before resorting to medicine?

There was a time after my son was born where I was 200+ post meal once and I got it down with regular controlled portions and exercise. But i am wondering whether doing it with medication is a better option so that my body is not going through any organ damage till then...

Any thoughts?

Carbcrazydog

Tamagno- Super news about the tumor shrinking. Hopefully all will be well from here on.

Rhiannon

113 this morning.

Tamagno - that is great news about the tumor shrinking and no metastasis to your brain. I hope you'll get further good news about the aneurism.

Carbcrazydog - I am sure someone with more experience can respond to your question.  I'm afraid I don't really know.

skb

Quote from: Carbcrazydog on February 16, 2017, 01:45:13 PM
I need some advice here. I had what i thought was a relatively safe dinner but it was ordered from outside. 184 after 2 hours which is super high. I usually am around 130-150. It could have been the food or it could have been that my glucose is going beyond control. I understand that proper food control and regular testing and exercise is imminent but should I start medication and do it along with that. Or should I give it a month or so of stringent control before resorting to medicine?

There was a time after my son was born where I was 200+ post meal once and I got it down with regular controlled portions and exercise. But i am wondering whether doing it with medication is a better option so that my body is not going through any organ damage till then...

Any thoughts?

A 40-50 point jump suggests that it was definitely the meal which was responsible for the spike. IMO, a one-off event should not be the key factor in decision making, whatever be the question. Then again, there are many medications that help to bring down blood sugar. One of them is supposedly, relatively safe, whereas the others act through pathways which cause more harm than good.

As you would seen from my fasting posts, I've been consistently over 120 for some time now. Those are not my numbers. If I manage my BG strictly my fasting numbers should be within a range of 98-110. This is the number I find most difficult to control, because my fasting is always beyond 11 hours, having finished dinner by 8 pm. Thereafter, my BG goes up to around 135 due to my daily workout routine. And then it is downward from there for the rest of the day. My pre-dinner numbers are between 72-85 depending on my glycogen status. I know this, because of extensive testing, as much as 20-25 times daily, back in the learning days.

According to me, the hepatic glycogen stores are more important than the number for any instant. A bad meal sets me back 3-4 days. A number of bad meals during vacation travel or weddings puts me behind for much longer. It takes me at least 10 days of very strict LCHF eating and a lot of physical activity to start finding my range again. As long as I can come back to it, there is no need for medication IMHO. Once, I've lost it forever, I'll happily get  the metformin. A soundly functioning, well balanced body loves homeostasis and will work very hard to get you back into it. Therefore, my answer, for now, "No. Not necessary.".

No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

skb

⬆ Above post also inspires me to tighten my shoe laces & get back into better control.

121 this morning, with determination to get better each day.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

rocky

@Tamagno, Great news sir. Keep giving us more of these.
@skb, I think my glycogen levels are at the lowest. I have been consistently in the lowest numbers for a long time. Today 80/92. Some months back I had asked if I should consider stopping the metformin. I was told not to stop. Do you think I should reconsider now.
My life is based on a true story.

Carbcrazydog

Thanks so much skb. Especially given how late in the night it must have been for you when you sent such a detailed reply. everything that you said makes so much sense. it was so easy to control when I got gestational diabetes as there was a baby I was carrying who would have been at am immediate risk. I wish that will power would come back again. but that 184 number is still haunting me. and thankfully so.

117 today morning. I am tightening my shoe laces too. physical activity will have to wait till the ligament tear in my foot gets healed. but diet is something I look forward to getting back in control.

good luck skb.

bigskygal

96 (5.32) this drizzly morning, 94 (5.21) at bedtime last night. I think I overdid on the sugar free bbq sauce for dinner. Or the lotion I have been loading on my dry hands didn't get washed off well enough.

@Tamagno, glad the oncologist had good news.

@CCD, I'm with skb that your meal was probably responsible for the spike. We have so little control over what is added to foods we buy out.  Be strict and stick to lchf before you make any decisions re meds.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: Carbcrazydog on February 16, 2017, 10:06:21 PM
Thanks so much skb. Especially given how late in the night it must have been for you when you sent such a detailed reply.

Think nothing of it. I sleep very early (before most people have dinner) and consequently wake up pretty early. I also need to munch on one leaf of Berberine sometime early morning and that wakes me up completely. Besides, Team DP is always happy to help, wherever we can.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Vahit

Whereas everyone is quoting from fasting and pre-dinner numbers here, the Article on Testing from the website asks to test a lot. My natural question is How many times do you test and why ?

Shanny

In the beginning we have to test a lot to find out which foods we tolerate and which we don't. After logging these foods and our readings for several months, we've compiled a good list of safe foods, so we don't have to test quite so much . . . only when we introduce a new food, or when we're eating somebody else's cooking, like in a restaurant or at someone's home where you don't know what they've put in the recipes.

In the beginning I was testing every time I turned around - at the very least ten or twelve times a day - but I hardly test at all now.