You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

246 this morning.

Dexcom problems this week replacing the receiver. Today will be the second day they've had to overnight new sensors. This particular bit of maintenance never seems to go smoothly, but only happens every three months.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

94 (5.21) this morning.  We didn't get any rain at all yesterday but since midnight we have received 1/4 inch of light rain.  This storm is coming from the south-west and because of that the area that is supposed to see the heaviest rainfall is along the coast and the Los Angeles area.  The danger here is mudslides and flooding.  I expect we will see light rain throughout the day here and probably tomorrow.  Too warm for snow, at least for now.

@CCD, I agree with SKB.  After many years of trying to control my bg with medication, because that is what I was told to do by my doctors, I finally found out that it is much more easily controlled by diet.  Lifestyle changes, mainly diet, are the first thing a person should try.  If it turns out that you just cannot get the desired results then maybe medication is in order but I would favor insulin over other choices. 
@Tamagno, sorry you have to go through the problems with the Dexcom.  If I was to use one of these devices I would opt for Medtronic but only because they are the manufacturer of my heart valve and I would like to think that they are superior.  Not really a valid reason but then decisions are not always based on reason.   
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

88 (4.88) this mostly clear morning, 101 (5.6) at bedtime last night.  Numbers have been kind of wonky lately. Not sure why.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

111 this morning. Things are improving ?
Weather wise, not so. Mumbai has started touching 39oC. It's pretty hot and the evening walk is sweaty.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

skb, definite improvement. The weather here is not so bad, about 10 deg lower than yours.

My readings 78/94. They are pretty constant & consistent. Should I stop the metformin ?
My life is based on a true story.

Vahit

I checked today. 221 in the morning. I am horrified. I use a Bayer's Contour.
Is this meter any good?
Should I change?
What meter do you use?

Shanny

Rocky? Are you taking the maximum dose of metformin? That would be 2000mg of extended release version or 2550mg of regular version.

If it's the maximum dosage, I think if I were you, I'd back it off about half, and see what happens to your blood sugar. Then if reducing the dosage doesn't have much effect, go ahead and quit it. But all of this should be done very gradually - like reduce by half for a month or two, before going any further.

skb

Rocky, take Shanny's advice seriously if you are considering stopping the met. It is best to gradually step down. Besides, metformin doesn't exit the system instantly. It takes 3-4 weeks.

Vahit, the contour is a well known meter. I doubt that there is any malfunction. From the A1c you have given, this is quite likely your morning number.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

166 this morning.

CGM woes continue with yesterday's failure of the receiver. Yet another overnight shipment from Dexcom.

Wally, while Medtronics is a very respected manufacturer of medical devices, their CGM is known to fall short in accuracy. For now, at least, I guess I'll stick to Dexcom.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

102 (5.65) this morning.  We had a steady light rain yesterday starting around midnight.  Total rainfall was 1.58 inches and no significant runoff.  Very nice for here, other areas had much more rain, up to 8 inches and high winds causing the usual mudslides, downed trees and a couple of sinkholes that swallowed up a couple of cars and also a Fire Truck.  It looks like the snow level is about 5000 feet so about 500 feet above here.  We are supposed to have a 40% chance of rain today but it doesn't look threatening right now.  Another system due here Monday.

@Tamagno, My comment was really tongue in cheek, not a suggestion.  :) I just thought it was interesting that Medtronics is well known for making a CGM and they also make the heart valve I have.  I really have no idea how their CGM works.

@Rocky, like Shanny and SKB say, if you want to stop taking Metformin do it in stages.  I learned a couple of years ago the hard way to not stop taking a medication cold turkey.  Gradually is by far better.  I have taken a 2000mg dose of Met for over 20 years and my doctor has asked my to cut down and see how it does.  I am now on a 500mg dose one time a day and it seems to be OK.  One thing to keep in mind though is that there are other benefits that are believed to come from Metformin regarding heart health but they have not been confirmed.  It does not cause you to produce insulin like other meds but it is for insulin resistance.  As such it is not going to cause low bg like some other meds.  I seem to be doing well with the lower dose but I don't plan to quit totally.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

317 (17.6) this morning due to my infusion set actually falling out during the night.  I got up during the night to check my blood sugar and that is when I discovered I wasn't getting any insulin.  Never in the 8+ years I've been using a pump has this happened to me.  Today is a new day so I'm hoping this "bump" in the road is behind me.

Temperatures are much higher here in the Midwest than normal.  Records are being broken in many cities as far as temperature goes.  Trees are budding out, meaning the new leaves are trying to open.  I find it hard to believe Winter is over - I think there might be one more snowfall yet.

Vahit - I use the Bayer Contour meter and it seems to give me good service.  Just a suggestion - make sure you don't forget to wash your hands before you test as sometimes the smallest amount of food that might be left on your finger could affect the blood glucose values.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

90 (4.99) this mostly clear morning, 90 at bedtime last night too.

It got up to 49°F (9.44) here today, so lots of melting going on.  Snow in the forcaste for tomorrow and Monday.  I really hope not!

Rocky, another vote for tapering off the metformin slowly.  With the way my numbers are so wonky, I am considering going back to 500 mg/day until they settle down.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

I'm in the land of the "80 cent Thali" at my in-laws. Haven't done anything counter-LCHF but I have not carried my meter, so there is no testing today.

Weather patterns have changed the world over. This is certainly the effect of global warming. Yet the human race continues to ignore the warnings. Hope good sense dawns sooner than later. 
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Carbcrazydog

105 after a very long time. I still miss carbs but lost 3 kgs and am below 60 kgs for the first time in 2.5 years!

skb- I am jealous. I miss Gujarat so much. Enjoy your stay.

My dog's tumor removal surgery is tomorrow. Keep her in your prayers, please. I just hope its a healthy life from here on.

My daughter turns 2 on Friday. To everyone who played the waiting game with me 2 years ago, thanks so much! It was so much easier with all of you and so much more exciting.

Tamagno

166 this morning.

CGM is finally working. It took two new sensors, three transmitters and a new receiver to do it, but its running! Dexcom support was great about overnighting packages.