You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Thanks. I guess that's all any of us can do. Ultimately, it depends on them to join up or not.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

walkerwally1

81 (4.49) this morning.  Well, we are right at 32° (0°C) this morning and it got up to 65° (18.3°C) yesterday.  Very nice in the sun.  There is a front going through Thursday and we will get wind but no rain.  Lower temps too. 
I often wonder about why some people actually join and are welcomed but never introduce themselves or make a post of any kind.  Maybe it's a "You can lead a horse to water" kind of thing.  I think a lot of people are just timid about posting and maybe find it intimidating.  I don't know why, we are a nice group of people and welcome anyone.  I also don't know why people join and make a few posts and then disappear, never to be heard from again.  That is a thing I have seen on all forums.  It is nice to have new people join and post to get more input and different points of view. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

122 (6.76) this morning.

We had a strong thunderstorm rumble through our area yesterday afternoon.  My husband had put up his 'rainbarrel' to catch rainwater to water the garden and this morning I see it is full.  My houseplants love rain water so yesterdays storm was a good thing especially since there were no more violent storms that came with it.  :)
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

80 (4.43) this partly cloudy morning, 94 (5.21) at bedtime last night.

Yesterday I bought a camping lantern  to use in the kitchen when I walk at night.  It worked all of 1 hour!  >:(  So I have to go out again tomorrow to return it. Very disappointed.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Shanny

That is infuriating!  >:( Was it battery operated?

I guess the only lanterns I've ever had ran on Coleman fuel, and that was many MANY years ago!

We now have an Aladdin mantle lamp that lives on the kitchen table & it burns liquid paraffin lamp oil. Mantle lamps put out a LOT of light! We used to need it fairly often, but have fewer power outages in recent years.

What we use for a night light in the kitchen/living room, is a salt lamp which we turn on when it gets dark out, and the first one up in the morning turns it off. It isn't terribly bright, but has gotten us this far.

skb

Quote from: bigskygal on April 11, 2017, 08:55:32 PM
Yesterday I bought a camping lantern  to use in the kitchen when I walk at night.  It worked all of 1 hour!  >:(  So I have to go out again tomorrow to return it. Very disappointed.

I use a head lamp when we go camping. Either a strap based or a cap mounted. With the newer LED lights they're practically weight less and the beam is very powerful and focused. Maybe, that's a better option.

Quote from: walkerwally1 on April 11, 2017, 09:16:01 AM
I often wonder about why some people actually join and are welcomed but never introduce themselves or make a post of any kind.  Maybe it's a "You can lead a horse to water" kind of thing.  I think a lot of people are just timid about posting and maybe find it intimidating.  I don't know why, we are a nice group of people and welcome anyone.  I also don't know why people join and make a few posts and then disappear, never to be heard from again.  That is a thing I have seen on all forums.  It is nice to have new people join and post to get more input and different points of view. 

Forums across the internet are facing stiff competition from Facebook & Instagram or Twitter. I really don't understand why. This is a focussed medium with "many to many" communication as opposed to "one to many". Forums are available on mobile apps and can be kept "always On" just like FB.
The non-posters join up by mistake I think, or are unable to cope up with the protocols we advocate, so they give up after some time. We have some members here, who were very active on the previous forums, but they don't want to participate in Fasting or Exercise threads. Other more serious and dedicated Diabetes threads are what they are looking for. But, we continue to grow, albeit at a slower pace. We keep on improving our features and services and hope things will change in due course.

BG report - 102 pre dinner (dump after exercise) and 115 this morning.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

rocky

skb, I can't talk for the others. I've never been a member of any forum before this one, and I wouldn't want to be. Posting in the Fasting threads keeps me aware and motivated and that is why I do it. Besides, the Fasting / Exercise threads contain a lot of discussions on wide ranging subjects. It is wrong to think of them as "limited" to the subject topic heading.

Last evening before dinner 84 and this morning fasting 92.

My question from the previous post remained unanswered. Do you guys think it's a good idea for me to reduce metformin further ? From 2 pills a day to 1. Please advise. 
My life is based on a true story.

Carbcrazydog

119 today morning. Still high compared to my focused low carb eating.

I have also been wondering why people from the old forum are not posting here. You make friends after awhile of posting and then it should not matter which forum you were on. But i guess there are a lot of things I have not been able to comprehend.

I am feeling tired on low carb. Am not being able to eat at regular intervals and my stamina is going down, though overall am feeling lighter. Guess it will be awhile since my body will get used to it.

Shanny

Things ended badly on the other forum . . . the owners of the forum apparently took offense at how things worked, and they took measures to get rid of quite a few of our diabetic friends. I haven't been there since, but I know that when I left, my own profile was available for viewing appearing that I was an ordinary member, and yet they had changed my password so I couldn't access my own account/profile. These were not people who had been participants on the forum before - they were employees of the owner VerticalScope, a corporation that owns many websites. Others here may know more than I about this . . . I left pretty early on and wasn't party to some of the later proceedings.

Paulomi? Be sure you're getting enough fat with your low-carbing. That's what supplies the fuel for energy. In the absence of carbs, our bodies need a lot of fats to make up the difference, and the high volume of fats does not cause weight gain or other health problems, but it does fix the issue of low energy.

Tamagno

167 this morning.

Ate the first solid food I've had since last October last night for dinner. A single scrambled agg with cheese and some pieces of chicken. Delicious!

Now that I'm missing my esophagus and a third of my stomach, eating will change now divided into six meals a day. Not bad at all.

Wonder what will happen with glucose?
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

86 (4.76) this morning.  Crack Slaw last night !   ~hgr~
It's really good and easy to make.  The hardest part in chopping the green onions, I use a lot of green onions, and that is not that hard.  I always make enough for at least two meals.

There is a front coming through starting tonight but all we are going to get is lower temps and of course, WIND

I still have a log in on the old forum and have checked it a few times but haven't posted there since joining here.  One thing I noticed is that there are only a couple of names I am familiar with, most are new to me and I really don't have any desire to join in there.  I have a Facebook account but I prefer this venue a lot more.  But then I use my desktop computer or my laptop most of the time and I use my phone for, well, phoning !  I also have an ipad but I am terribly awkward at typing on it.

@Tamagno, yeah !  I am sure the solid food was absolutely wonderful.  Really happy for you.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Quote from: rocky on April 12, 2017, 12:18:43 AM

Last evening before dinner 84 and this morning fasting 92.

My question from the previous post remained unanswered. Do you guys think it's a good idea for me to reduce metformin further ? From 2 pills a day to 1. Please advise.

Rocky - I can tell you what happened when I tried reducing my metformin and then maybe you can make up your own mind about reducing your dose or not.  I have taken metformin for over 10 years and then one day I noticed that my numbers were stable as they can be for someone who uses insulin.  So I thought maybe I would stop it completely and I did.  My numbers continued on the good side for about 3 weeks and then all numbers across my whole day began to climb and climb high.  So I resumed taking metformin and my numbers once again returned to steady.  But it took 3-4 weeks for them to return to normal.  Your numbers have been good so you might be able to reduce but be very aware of the possibility of your numbers climbing and test often.

John - It must have been a pleasant experience to have 'real food' once again.  I hope you continue to enjoy the simple pleasure of eating.  :)
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

Quote from: rocky on April 12, 2017, 12:18:43 AM
Rocky, Of course this is a personal decision but it is good you are asking.  It helps to be informed.  I have been taking Metformin for over 20 years.  For the majority of that time I took 2000 mg of regular Met.  For the last year I have been taking 1000 mg and have not seen a major change in my bg.  I don't expect to stop the 1000 mg dose for a couple of reasons.  First, Metformin does not force the pancreas to put out more insulin regardless of what you eat or where your bg is.  The Sulfonylurea that I was taking before LCHF did just that and controlling bg was horrible.  Metformin helps the body to be more insulin sensitive so the cells will allow the glucose in.  I look at that as a good thing.  Insulin resistance is a problem that starts the diabetes problem and continues, probably forever.  Metformin will not cause you to go low even if you don't eat.  You can fast if you want and not worry.  There have been studies that suggest that Metformin may be heart healthy although no definitive trials have been done yet.  The only thing I have heard negative about Metformin is that studies showed that for a few people, 20% I think, that had been on Met for a long time, several years, there was a drop in vitamin B12 that was unhealthy.  My doctor had my B12 tested and it was on the high side of the normal range so I don't worry about that. 
If you do decide to drop it remember like Grammabear said it can take a few weeks for any change shows. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

72 (3.99) this mostly clear morning, 81 (4.99) at bedtime last night.

Shanny, it is a battery operated lantern.  I put in new batteries, but I guess they were too old.  I charged up some rechargeable batteries and last night they worked just fine!! I had  Head lamp on my Amazon list, but this lantern is working fine now.  My problem is my electric bill doubled in size last month and I don't know why so I am trying to not use the electric lights.

Man, I am havinga total gadget meltdown lately!!  Yesterday, I recharged my iPad mini and then an upgrade showed up so I did the upgrade.  Then it would not turn on.  I thought I had bricked it.  And it isn't even paid for yet. I was prepared to go to town today to see if AT&T could fix it.  I just don't need this stress!  This morning, it appears the battery is almost totally drained.  Not sure how that happened.. Maybe my outlet is not working??  Tried a different one and it charged just fine.  Phew all is good once again.

Tamagno, I am so happy to hear you are able to eat real food again.  I pray for your continued progress!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Obviously, the Fasting thread is much more than a Fasting thread. If the non posting members were to read through these discussions, it would be evident that everything under the sun is discussed here.

Probably we should open up more Topics in the other sections of the forum. For instance, the entire Metformin discussion could be a part of the Treatment sub-forum. That would probably attract the attention of lurkers.

Rocky, your question is satisfactorily answered I hope.

Paulomi, VS intended to introduce corporate sponsored (paid for) discussions on the forum, plus we were pushing for removal of some of the front page articles written very much in contradiction to our guiding principles of diet. They probably decided to take us on in a confrontational manner and put up a couple of trolls to attack some of the Moderation team. It led to a spy vs spy kind of situation and the entire active mods decided to stick together and quit. Some just lost interest & went their ways. Four of us ended up founding the Diabetic Pub.

Oops, almost forgot to say that my Fasting was 112.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club