You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

97 this morning.

Has anyone heard of 'essential oils' as they relate to holistic medicine?
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

95 this morning.  WINDY last night and today.  There is a cold front going through and temp. has dropped about 10° and will be the same tomorrow.  Then we will be back to around 85° for a few days. 
Tamagno, thanks for the info.  It really is not bad enough that I have tried to do anything about.  It can be pesky and at times it can affect my vision but most of the time I don't notice it. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

Quote from: Grammabear on October 20, 2017, 09:56:08 AMHas anyone heard of 'essential oils' as they relate to holistic medicine?
I've heard of them, but that's about the size of it. The only time I ever bought any is to use as air fresheners when Fritz & Waylon were both old & sick - 'sick' included being incontinent. The products promoted for pet stains/odor just don't cut it, so we would add a few drops of this oil to a box of baking soda & stash it somewhere in the room.

Wanna tell us what you're really asking about?

Grammabear

Quote from: Shanny on October 20, 2017, 02:23:18 PM
Quote from: Grammabear on October 20, 2017, 09:56:08 AMHas anyone heard of 'essential oils' as they relate to holistic medicine?
I've heard of them, but that's about the size of it. The only time I ever bought any is to use as air fresheners when Fritz & Waylon were both old & sick - 'sick' included being incontinent. The products promoted for pet stains/odor just don't cut it, so we would add a few drops of this oil to a box of baking soda & stash it somewhere in the room.

Wanna tell us what you're really asking about?

I went over to Dr. Google and typed in holistic medicine to see what information was out there.  I don't really know much about it as it seems to be a vast subject and essential oils were mentioned as one aspect of it.  Plus there is a local chiropractor who seems to have a following in the field of holistic or alternative medicine.  Needless to say the medical doctors don't much like this guy.  Don't know why either.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

79 (4.38) this rainy morning, 96 (5.32)at bedtime last night.

As far a essential oils go, IMHO they are in the same ballpark as the other "cures/aids". Yes they do have some benefits like lavender oil for relaxation and others for stimulation but as far as helping diabetes, I'm not so sure.

Daytime temps are in the 40's and night time mid 30's.  Soon I will have to turn on the heater in my pump house and under the house...

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Shanny

Well, I accept holistic medicine to a certain degree, but when the practitioners go to the extremes of insisting ailments like diabetes can be controlled with essential oils & other alternative treatments, they run off the rails.

As we all know, diet & exercise are important components of managing our diabetes, but when they start promoting herbs, supplements and other crackpot methods, we have to use our common sense and stick with what we know works. Like if you need insulin to maintain safe levels of blood sugar, then taking tons of chromium instead is not going to help you. It's just like everything else, we have to use our heads & if it sounds too good to be true, then it prob'ly is.

rocky

Quote from: Shanny on October 20, 2017, 09:42:57 PM
As we all know, diet & exercise are important components of managing our diabetes, but when they start promoting herbs, supplements and other crackpot methods, we have to use our common sense and stick with what we know works.

Well said Shanny. And that is the only thing that works. I've tried herbs and natural substances for getting my numbers down. If they work, they do so only for a very short while and then it's back to diet and exercise.

78 last evening and 90 this morning.
My life is based on a true story.

bigskygal

<3Shanny, this may be too late, but i have found a pet cleaner that is amazing. It was called Fizzion on Amazon I think Jackson Galaxy has taken over the name but this stuff really works!
For your next rescue... <3

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

123 this morning.

Essential oils in homeopathic medicine are related to the ancient idea that like cures like. For example, taking ground bull testes for low testosterone. The Bach Flower Remedies are similar. In the West, it's related to the Grecian idea of the four humors that were thought necessary to be in balance for good health ("she's in a foul humor today").

In more modern homeopathy, the scheme is far more sophisticated, but at least in my own experience produces only the most subtle effects, if any. In the U.S., the actual content of homeopathic products are totally unregulated, so buyer beware.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

92 this morning.  I am such a sucker for new gadgets and sometimes buy a product because it looks "neat" to me.  I have been using a Contour Next USB BG meter for a couple of years and I like it and I like the fact that I can download the readings to my computer and print out reports.  Handy to take to my doctor.  I recently saw that there was a new Contour Next One meter. It has Bluetooth and connects to your phone.  Offered right now on Amazon for $1 plus shipping so I decided that I just had to have one.  I have been using it for about 3 weeks now and I have to say I do like it.  It is a bit of a gimmick to put the reading on my phone but it does work and it gives all of my readings and averages.  It will connect to a computer with a USB cable but does not come with one.  I have several so it was no problem.  Connects to the same program that the Contour Next and lets you print reports.  I have been happy with the apparent accuracy of these meters and this one seems just as good.  I also was surprised with the lancing device that came with it.  I have been using a One Touch Delica lancing device for some time because it was the first I knew of that used 33 gauge lances.  I always figured smaller was better for needles and that was kind of the case.  The gauge of these needles are not on the package but they are silicone coated and to my surprise they are the least painful I have used.  I think that most people get used to one product and tend to stick with what works for you but if anyone is looking for something different these may be of interest.  I'm not trying to promote this item, just thought some may find it interesting.  I figured I really had nothing to lose as I already use the Contour Next test strips and had a supply.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Wally - I also use the Contour Next One meter and although the phone app 'sometimes' has its' quirks, I do like the meter very much.  When I had my last A1C, the meter average and the lab sample drawn at the doctor's office were within 3 points of each other.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Shanny

Quote from: bigskygal on October 20, 2017, 11:36:45 PM <3 Shanny, this may be too late, but i have found a pet cleaner that is amazing. It was called Fizzion on Amazon I think Jackson Galaxy has taken over the name but this stuff really works!
For your next rescue... <3
I'm definitely putting it on my Amazon wish list! Thanks, Barb.

Out of all the months Fritz was bowel incontinent - about 1½ years - we're left with only a handful of stains on the carpet, so that isn't bad for a rug that's been down 27 years!

bigskygal

81 (4.49) this cloudy morning, 99 (5.48)at bedtime last night.

skb

Wally,

Many thanks for the review of the Contour Next One.
I think that the meter would also connect to a computer with Bluetooth, therefore the USB cable is not supplied. All modern computers have WiFi & Bluetooth Options.

I'm of the opinion that we start a new board under the Diabetes category, titled "Equipment" and copy/paste your post there. All discussions on equipment for Diabetes can be moved there. We have a low membership count today, but some day in the future it might come in handy for newbies visiting the forum. What say ?
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

141 this morning.

For those with the pet odor problem, my wife swears by something called "Nature's Miracle" that I think she gets at Agway.

SKB, an "Equipment" section could be a great resource as we have so much paraphernalia and searching can be tricky.

Wally, I'm always on the lookout for good lancets. I'm currently using an Accuchek lancet with tiny needles that are loaded in a little drum with five in each that works pretty well. However, I'd pay to be able to have something that was well engineered and built with more substantial materials than the usual devices.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost