You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanny

Until the last coupla/three years, I cooked all the time & loved it. And was good at it, if I do say so myself!  ;)

But I don't have the stamina anymore to stand at the counter or stove to do all the preparation it takes to cook from scratch. I roasted a corned beef brisket a few days ago, & we've been eating on that ever since. Corned beef can be lots of different things, from hash right on down to Reuben sandwiches. A plain beef roast is just as versatile, so I often do those too. And before I got up this morning, I was day-dreaming about making a big bowl of potato salad, but that's out of the question . . . just too many carbs.  :(

Ah well . . . restaurant food isn't my cuppa tea either, Kathy . . . I sit there thinking what I would do to make it better!  ;D

Grammabear

Shanny -

I also find it harder to stand at the counter and do all the 'prep' work for cooking from scratch.  So, I decided to put a tall bar stool in the kitchen so I can sit while doing prep work whatever that might be.  It does take some getting used to - this business of sitting down to do what I used to do standing up.  But it beats having back pain to the point where I just can't take it anymore.  I offer my solution for whatever it might be worth to anyone.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Grammabear

Quote from: rocky on November 16, 2017, 10:38:55 PM
Quote from: Grammabear on November 16, 2017, 10:11:33 AM
47 this morning and I had a difficult time getting it back upwards to 81.  Diabetes is never boring.

John - I can tell you what happened to me after I 'forgot'  how many days I had a set inserted and left it for 4-1/2 days.  I got an abdominal abscess which ended up sending me to a surgeon so he could open it.  Not a fun process.  It took a total of 9 weeks for the abscess to heal and a fair number of trips back to the surgeon for treatment.  When the trainer said 3 days, that is just one of the reasons why.

Oops. That is a lot of time to heal for an abscess. Possibly the diabetes added to the slowness of the process. Yes diabetes is a mystery and mysteries are never boring. But I also think that management of it is tougher for type 1 especially with a pump in place.

79 last evening before dinner and a 92 this morning.

Yes Rocky, it was a long time for an abscess to heal.  It would have been shorter in duration if the HCP (health care professional) I sought help from had diagnosed it correctly and advised proper treatment.  The abscess grew in size to about 4 x 6 centimeters before the HCP sent me to see a surgeon.  Plus I had never had an abscess and didn't know that the "warning" signs were redness and heat in one localized area. Managing either T1 or T2 is not easy.  I don't think one is harder than the other.  The main thing is that we all have each other to support and to learn from.  For that, I am grateful. :)
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

87 (4.82) this slightly snowy morning, 90 (4.99) at bedtime last night.

Well the big storm did not materialize. A small snowfall around 11:30AM this morning then nothing. It has all melted away here in the valley.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

I love to cook, but haven't done it in a long time. Mostly I cook poultry or meat and am not very good at veggies.

92 pre meal and 122 today morning, thanks to some over eating.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

I only do some very basic cooking and that also very rarely. I can do eggs or tea and coffee. My mum lives close by and most of my eating or food comes from there.

81 last evening before dinner and 92 again this morning's fasting number.
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

126 this morning.

Well, I spent eight months of last year eating only liquids through a tube in my stomach and confess to having become obsessed with food and cooking. In the end, though, it's a blessing as I've found lots of ways to make all manner of tasty things that I do from scratch. Also, it's a great way to control both carbs and cost.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

128 this morning.

It is 38 degrees and raining here this morning.  If all this rain from yesterday and today was 'snow' instead we would be snowbound.  Very glad it is rain instead because at least you don't have to shovel rain.   ::)

In spite of limited cooking facilities, we made a huge batch of Crack Slaw last night.  It tasted so good to have something made at home instead of fast food or restaurant food.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

103 this morning.  Not unexpected as I kind of pigged out last night, chili-cheese burger with lots of chili and onions.   ~hgr~
It's about 20° colder this morning and the high today is supposed to be 68° and the same tomorrow then it warms up and it is supposed to be 85° (29.4°C) on Thursday, my oh my.
Good news is that the Mammoth Mountain Ski Area is reporting 60 inches of snow at the top. 
I've always liked to cook and it is fun to try some of the low carb meals that are put out by some very clever cooks.  My favorite though is Bar-B-Q.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

97 (5.37) this partly cloudy morning, 89 (4.93) at bedtime last night.

I too like to cook and I use lots of different spices. Though sometimes I get in a rut and make the same thing over and over just 'cause it tastes so good.  :)

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Shanny

I do that too! ha! We go on sprees with certain foods. Lately we've revived an old favorite of Mandarin Orange Spice tea . . . and we were going strong until tonight when we couldn't find the little jar of honey. Just isn't the same with sweetener. Have to ask the cleaning lady tomorrow if she happens to find it, to put it out where we stumble over it!

Tamagno

115 this morning.

Wally, barbecue is so wildly variable (makes it interesting) but I've really enjoyed Ballistic Barbecue on YouTube out of San Diego. The guy who does it is really good and you might find some great tips.

Nearly 50 Fahrenheit this morning!

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

108 this morning.

Shanny - We have experienced the loss of the honey jar also and decided that the honey bear would have a place of honor on the dining room table where we eat most meals.  Our only grandson gave my hubby a honey bear for Christmas last year and whenever he visits he seems pleased to see the honey bear being used.

Since our kitchen is basically non functional, we've decided to do a barbeque for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.  At least that way we will have leftovers and a hot meal cooked at home for a change.

Barb - I also get stuck in a rut and maybe it isn't such a bad place to be.  Lately we've been eating crack slaw a lot and my husband who isn't diabetic, has requested it over and over again.  It tastes good reheated too.

A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

96 this morning.  We are at 30° (-1.11C) this morning.  First time that we are bellow freezing since last winter.  High today supposed to be 64° (17.8°C) but Thanksgiving, Thursday, is supposed to be 81° (27.2°C) so a fairly large swing. 
Tamagno, thanks, I am going to check that out.
Kathy and Shanny, I don't know how you can use honey at all.  It would just send my bg sky high.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

The thing with honey is that it's SO sweet you don't need much. A tiny little teaspoon (by this I mean a measuring spoon - not flatware) is only 6g, and sweetens a whole cuppa tea.