You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on November 19, 2017, 10:11:45 AM
96 this morning.  We are at 30° (-1.11C) this morning.  First time that we are bellow freezing since last winter.  High today supposed to be 64° (17.8°C) but Thanksgiving, Thursday, is supposed to be 81° (27.2°C) so a fairly large swing. 
Tamagno, thanks, I am going to check that out.
Kathy and Shanny, I don't know how you can use honey at all.  It would just send my bg sky high.

Wally - Mostly I use honey for a hypo remedy as it seems to bring my glucose level up quicker than other remedies.  When I get down to the upper 30s I really don't care what I eat - I am desperate at that point.  My husband is not diabetic and he loves honey with his cereal in the morning.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

I can certainly understand using it for a hypo.  I just wondered as it is something I avoid totally but as I am not taking meds I an fortunate to not have to deal with hypo's.  I used to think T-1's had it a lot easier because they could vary their dost to cover anything they ate.  I have a friend who is a T-1 and his doctor told him to eat anything he wanted to and just cover it with insulin.  One of the things I have learned from this and other forums is that what I thought was totally wrong and trying to keep a normal bg for a T-1 is like trying to hit a moving target.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on November 19, 2017, 04:46:17 PM
I can certainly understand using it for a hypo.  I just wondered as it is something I avoid totally but as I am not taking meds I an fortunate to not have to deal with hypo's.  I used to think T-1's had it a lot easier because they could vary their dost to cover anything they ate.  I have a friend who is a T-1 and his doctor told him to eat anything he wanted to and just cover it with insulin.  One of the things I have learned from this and other forums is that what I thought was totally wrong and trying to keep a normal bg for a T-1 is like trying to hit a moving target.

No disrespect meant toward your friend, but his Doctor is full of baloney.  Just because you can cover it with insulin does not mean you 'should' do it that way.  We're all different and some people can tolerate certain foods that send the blood glucose of other people to the moon and back. 

You are partially right in thinking that trying to hit a 'in range' bg for a T1 is like hitting a moving target....meaning what works one day  will most certainly not work two days in a row.  All anyone of us can do is to try our best and even then sometimes it doesn't work well. 
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

99 (5.48) this partly cloudy morning, 98 (5.43) at bedtime last night.

I stay well away form honey too Wally.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on November 19, 2017, 06:58:43 PM
All anyone of us can do is to try our best and even then sometimes it doesn't work well.

Very true. I also cannot tolerate honey, but sometimes we use it for sweetening home made cookies. The quantity is something like a teaspoon in 1/2 kg. Since I eat maybe 2 cookies at a time I can get away with much. In my scheme of control, activity plays a big part. If my walks and workouts are on target, I can get away with small cheats.

122 this morning. Expected a lower number because I controlled portions very well for dinner, but then I checked about an hour too late.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

80 before dinner last evening and 92 fasting this Monday morning.

The last week was pretty hectic at work. Hope to have some time this week for the little things that have piled up.
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

112 this morning.

No honey for me; I only use pure sucralose for sweetening that has no fillers so requires only tiny amounts and can withstand cooking heat.

Kathy and SKB: I can't seem to get to my personal messages on my iPad (Safari browser) this morning so I'll have to wait to reply when I can figure a work around. I'm going to try StartPage shortly.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

skb

Quote from: Tamagno on November 20, 2017, 05:33:01 AM
Kathy and SKB: I can't seem to get to my personal messages on my iPad (Safari browser) this morning so I'll have to wait to reply when I can figure a work around. I'm going to try StartPage shortly.

Looking into it. I assume you were able to respond to PMs on your iPad, prior to this.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

Quote from: skb on November 20, 2017, 05:59:16 AM
Quote from: Tamagno on November 20, 2017, 05:33:01 AM

Looking into it. I assume you were able to respond to PMs on your iPad, prior to this.

Yes Skb, the PM feature worked just fine prior to this.  Don't know what happened to make it start doing this either.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Grammabear

91 this morning.

My husband was on the way to the local home improvement store when his car quit running and would not start again.  He called home so I went to pick him up.  We had the car towed into the repair shop where they will fix it today for a price.    :(  But on the other hand, today is the day the plumber is supposed to come so we can have water in the kitchen once again.  `8)
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on November 20, 2017, 08:29:52 AM
Yes Skb, the PM feature worked just fine prior to this.  Don't know what happened to make it start doing this either.

You're also having trouble with messages? We were able to send and receive messages with the iPhones & iPads using Safari. Do let me know.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

walkerwally1

89 this morning.  Starting to warm up, low this morning 41° or 10° higher than yesterday.  Heading to 82-84° Thursday and then next week getting cooler again.
Kathy, I totally agree that his doctor is full of baloney.  The worst thing is that is what my friend believes because it came from his idiot doctor and he will not listen to anything else. 
Tamagno, I checked out Balistic BBQ last night and the first thing that came up was a tripple bacon/tripple cheese burger.  Yeah, three patties, three cheese slices and 4 pieces of bacon !  My oh my !  It really did look good though.  Looks like some good tips and tricks here.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on November 20, 2017, 09:52:47 AM
89 this morning.  Starting to warm up, low this morning 41° or 10° higher than yesterday.  Heading to 82-84° Thursday and then next week getting cooler again.
Kathy, I totally agree that his doctor is full of baloney.  The worst thing is that is what my friend believes because it came from his idiot doctor and he will not listen to anything else. 
Tamagno, I checked out Balistic BBQ last night and the first thing that came up was a tripple bacon/tripple cheese burger.  Yeah, three patties, three cheese slices and 4 pieces of bacon !  My oh my !  It really did look good though.  Looks like some good tips and tricks here.

Wally - It is sad that doctors sometimes give such erroneous information.  I can remember back when I was first diagnosed and put on insulin.  I was told by a dietitian to consume 45-60 carbs per meal and two snack of 15-30 carbs each per day.  That might have been fine information for someone looking to gain weight, but it wasn't fine for me.  I gained 90 pounds in a little over 4 months and have had great difficulty losing that weight ever since.  I detest dietitians to this day because the advice I was given was so very WRONG.  My bg numbers are not perfect now, but they are way better following LCHF than that dumb dietitian's advise.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on November 20, 2017, 09:52:47 AM

I know so many of that kind. That the doctor's Knowledge is unquestionable, seems to be more prevalent in India.  My son in law's father is the latest to join the D fraternity. He was found to be roaming about with BG of 400+. The children have asked him to drop everything and first meet up with me. But, I can sense reluctance & denial there. Quite the norm.

93 last evening pre-meal & 118 Fasting.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

rocky

Quote from: skb on November 20, 2017, 09:11:45 PM
That the doctor's Knowledge is unquestionable, seems to be more prevalent in India.

Ah. the white coats are everywhere and they do have a lot of respect, most of the times, rightfully so.

82 before dinner last evening and 93 fasting today.
My life is based on a true story.