You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskygal

Somehow forgot to post yesterday...
fasting yesterday was 98 (5.43), bedtime was 99 (5.48).[

Fasting today was 96 (5.32), bedtime last night was 103 (5.71).

High today was 31°F (-0.5°C).

Went to pcp today. New Aic is 5.5%. Higher than I like, but he is thrilled. I did loosen up a bit on lc/hf but will be very careful. He took diabetes off my list of dx's substituted "insulin resistant" instead. He said he can't justify calling me diabetic any more. Fricking fool!! I am so mad and fear I will not qualify for my strips any more. Definitely looking for a new doctor. He said my A1c should be higher so I don't have lows from the meds...what meds??? I haven't taken any diabetes meds since 2015!! Again I say...fricking fool!! Does he even read my chart??

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Shanny

Oh Barb . . . you surely do have a freakin' fool on your hands. What business does he have going back and changing data on your chart?! On that date your levels were what they were, and your diagnosis was diabetes. That was then and it will never change. Once you get settled with a new doc, I would make sure this fool knows why you left him, and that manipulating your previous numbers is at least unprofessional, if not illegal.

skb

Unfortunately, they don't teach good English in med school. He needs to know what "chronic" means. Maybe, this'll help.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chronic

123 today
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

I'm still fuming! His parting words were that I shouldn't limit my diet in any way...gahhh!

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Shanny

Not only do they not teach decent English in med school, they apparently let in any dαmn fool who comes along, whether they have good sense or a basic knowledge of cause &  consequences.  ::)

rocky

:D Hahahaha, yes they don't teach good English in medicine.

I'm back into my range. 81 last evening before dinner and 94 fasting today.
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

144 this morning.

For better or worse, it is in fact a very big medical issue that charts can't be changed. Your "doc," Bigskygal, can add to it, but not alter prior entries. (A huge matter at my wife's clinic where she's a clinical psychologist.) Whoever you get next has got to be better than this guy.

It's much warmer here this morning at 18 instead of 12 degrees Fahrenheit; yesterday never got higher than 25, but perhaps today in the 30s.

Managed to use up all the leftovers in a casserole I made yesterday and even cleaned the 'fridge interior. No cooking for several days, but I've got a beef roast I'm going to try aging about a week and then marinating before I roast it. So many "lesser" cuts of beef are tough so I'm hoping this process will help tenderize it.

There's a nasty cold virus going around here and some of the Midwest that lingers for over a month, so please everyone be careful and stay healthy!
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

Quote from: Shanny on December 15, 2017, 10:35:05 PM
Not only do they not teach decent English in med school, they apparently let in any dαmn fool who comes along, whether they have good sense or a basic knowledge of cause &  consequences.  ::)

And some graduate with 'head knowledge' and absolutely zero 'heart knowledge' (meaning they have no common sense about the patients they treat.

107 this morning.  The cold Tamagno mentions has visited my younger son who is visiting us.  I hope his cold doesn't decide to take up abode when son returns to his home. 
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

90 this morning.  Warmer than expected at 41° (5°C) for our overnight low.  High today only supposed to be 63° and cooling a bit for the next few days.  There is a very slight chance of rain may off around 12/29 but that is really too far out to rely on.
I think that it is a sad state of affairs that doctors are so clearly not aware of how to treat diabetes.  I like my doctor quite a bit and one reason is that she does not give me any grief over how I treat my diabetes but she also has no idea what I do.  She made the statement the last time I saw her that I am the only diabetic patient she knows that has such a low A1c and that is out of all of the patients in the clinic with about 6 doctors.  This may be true but what makes me wonder is that no one, including her, has any curiosity of how I am doing this.  They just continue giving out prescriptions and considering it done. 
One of the most enlightening accounts I have read, and I wish I could find it again, was from a doctor that had been treating patients with diabetes for over 30 years had discovered that he was diabetic.  He then decided to do some research to look into what the best treatment was available for his own use.  He said he was really trying to decide what drug to use but he found out that there was a mountain of research and evidence out there that supported lifestyle changes, mainly diet, rather than drugs.  He ended up applying that to his treatment and found out it worked !  Surprise, surprise, now he uses that knowledge to treat his patients with great results, after 30 years of going along with the conventional wisdom he was taught.  There are many stories like this from other health professionals but the main thing is that they didn't ever think to look into anything different than what they were taught until they were personally affected with the disease.   
Kind of got long winded there, sorry !   :)
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

85 (4.71) this clod morning, 96 (5.32)
at bedtime last night.

I looked at my paperwork from the pcp visit yesterday and he didn't change diabetes to insulin resistant, he changed it to hyperglycemic. Not sure if that is better or not, but maybe my strip rx is safe.

It got up to 35°F (1.67°C) today. About an inch of snow over night, no more in forecast until Wed.

Shanny

I still think he's fudging the truth by changing anything at all in your past data, and I can't see what he stands to gain by it. And you still have my good wishes for finding a new honest doc.  ~hug~

rocky

Quote from: walkerwally1 on December 16, 2017, 10:34:45 AM
I think that it is a sad state of affairs that doctors are so clearly not aware of how to treat diabetes.  I like my doctor quite a bit and one reason is that she does not give me any grief over how I treat my diabetes but she also has no idea what I do.  She made the statement the last time I saw her that I am the only diabetic patient she knows that has such a low A1c and that is out of all of the patients in the clinic with about 6 doctors.  This may be true but what makes me wonder is that no one, including her, has any curiosity of how I am doing this.  They just continue giving out prescriptions and considering it done. 
One of the most enlightening accounts I have read, and I wish I could find it again, was from a doctor that had been treating patients with diabetes for over 30 years had discovered that he was diabetic.  He then decided to do some research to look into what the best treatment was available for his own use.  He said he was really trying to decide what drug to use but he found out that there was a mountain of research and evidence out there that supported lifestyle changes, mainly diet, rather than drugs.  He ended up applying that to his treatment and found out it worked !  Surprise, surprise, now he uses that knowledge to treat his patients with great results, after 30 years of going along with the conventional wisdom he was taught.  There are many stories like this from other health professionals but the main thing is that they didn't ever think to look into anything different than what they were taught until they were personally affected with the disease.   
Kind of got long winded there, sorry !   :)

Excellent points Wally. Really made me sit back and ponder.

90 fasting this Sunday morning.
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

123 this morning.

Very generally speaking, the advent of respect and indeed veneration for doctors and science is a modern phenomenon that really only gained prevalence during the 20th century. Unfortunately, the current state of affairs has also given rise to a widespread backlash of quackery and paranoia that are equally ill advised.

Shanny mentions "common sense" which is a commodity that is no longer common or even in play in virtually any contemporary discourse that seeks to problem solve. Examples are endless, but the case in point here is managing diabetes and I think all of us here have experienced the results, sadly.

One of the things that impresses me about Tandem, the manufacturer of my insulin pump, is that 70% of their reps are themselves type 1 diabetics who personally use the device. I've no idea how many are cognizant of LCHF, but at least when you speak with them, they have very good, first-hand knowledge of using their equipment and can offer reliable advice.

Meanwhile, I'm sticking to impacting the world in just my tiny, little daily interactions that I've found are very occasionally helpful.

It's all a situation that makes me extremely grateful to have this site and community!

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on December 16, 2017, 10:34:45 AM

Dr. James Carlson ?

I remember also reading a personal account from a veterinary doctor. Give or take size & placement of organs, the systems more or less work the same way. Again, Peter of hyperlipid is also vet and one of the most knowledgeable professionals on diet. 
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Grammabear

110 this morning.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share about how a good kind of stress can and does influence our blood glucose levels?  I suspect this is what happens to me each time one of my grown sons comes for a overnight visit.  It distresses me that I don't seem to be able to control my bg levels at this time.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."