You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

90 this morning.  The weather gurus keep saying we will be below freezing but so far it hasn't happened.  Not complaining and it will happen, probably soon. 
The fire in Ventura is now the third largest in California history and only 40% contained as of today.  Over 950 structures destroyed with about 700 of those homes.  Evacuations still in effect in some areas and 1,800 homes still in danger.  Full containment not expected until early January. 
Grammabear, I believe any emotion can get hormones working, good or bad, and can have an effect on your bg.  There is no way I know of to turn that on and off so it is what it is.  We want to have control all of the time but it isn't always possible.  At those times you do the best you can and know that it will improve.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

walkerwally1

Quote from: skb on December 17, 2017, 06:07:29 AM
Quote from: walkerwally1 on December 16, 2017, 10:34:45 AM
One of the most enlightening accounts I have read, and I wish I could find it again, was from a doctor that had been treating patients with diabetes for over 30 years had discovered that he was diabetic.  He then decided to do some research to look into what the best treatment was available for his own use.  He said he was really trying to decide what drug to use but he found out that there was a mountain of research and evidence out there that supported lifestyle changes, mainly diet, rather than drugs.  He ended up applying that to his treatment and found out it worked !  Surprise, surprise, now he uses that knowledge to treat his patients with great results, after 30 years of going along with the conventional wisdom he was taught.  There are many stories like this from other health professionals but the main thing is that they didn't ever think to look into anything different than what they were taught until they were personally affected with the disease.   

Dr. James Carlson ?

I remember also reading a personal account from a veterinary doctor. Give or take size & placement of organs, the systems more or less work the same way. Again, Peter of hyperlipid is also vet and one of the most knowledgeable professionals on diet.
I'm not sure, at one time I had several accounts from various health care professionals, doctors, RN's, dietitians and CDE,s that all had the same story.  I lost a bunch of stuff a while back on one of my hard drives and I can't find this anymore so it was just called up from memory. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on December 17, 2017, 09:40:26 AM
90 this morning.  The weather gurus keep saying we will be below freezing but so far it hasn't happened.  Not complaining and it will happen, probably soon. 
The fire in Ventura is now the third largest in California history and only 40% contained as of today.  Over 950 structures destroyed with about 700 of those homes.  Evacuations still in effect in some areas and 1,800 homes still in danger.  Full containment not expected until early January. 
Grammabear, I believe any emotion can get hormones working, good or bad, and can have an effect on your bg.  There is no way I know of to turn that on and off so it is what it is.  We want to have control all of the time but it isn't always possible.  At those times you do the best you can and know that it will improve.

So sorry to hear more about the California fires.  The people who have lost their homes just make me want to cry mostly because there isn't anything one can do to help them.

I guess personally I expect to be able to turn the numbers down when they are starting to climb - and I cannot.  I went through more insulin in the past week than in the past 3 weeks combined.  I will need to work on accepting the situation for what it is.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Shanny

I suggest that stress is stress, regardless if it's pleasant or painful.

bigskygal

97 (5.37) this cold morning, 95 (5.26) at bedtime last night.

It got up to 32°F (0°C) today. Tonight's low will be 29°F (-1.6°C) so a bit warmer than the last few nights. Last night when I went to bed it was 10°F (-12°C).

Wally so sad to hear about the fires. I read there was a firefighter death. That scares me as my DS is a firefighter in Northern Ca.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on December 17, 2017, 09:46:56 AM
I'm not sure, at one time I had several accounts from various health care professionals, doctors, RN's, dietitians and CDE,s that all had the same story.  I lost a bunch of stuff a while back on one of my hard drives and I can't find this anymore so it was just called up from memory.

Jimmy Moore has a list of doctors supportive of LCHF on his blog. At the previous forum I had to started to compile such a list from the links people posted. I have it somewhere on my office PC. I'll hunt for it.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Carbcrazydog

124 today morning after a couple of weeks of bad choices. Planning to hit the gym from today and get back to stair climbing.

Sad to hear about the fires. Everyone stay safe.

rocky

Quote from: Tamagno on December 17, 2017, 05:57:07 AM
It's all a situation that makes me extremely grateful to have this site and community!

I quite agree tamagno.
79 last night and 91 today morning
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

164 this morning.

Bigskygal, I'm prayerful your DS stays safe out there! God bless her for doing that work...

I was "off" all day yesterday, vis, I couldn't get warm and just couldn't get myself moving at all. Surely today will be better.

Kathy, as you are so well aware, our glucose seems to go haywire at the slightest provocation. I've always taken some pride (first mistake) in taking things in stride, but have discovered that the most surprising events are stressful even though I don't think I'm experiencing discomfort or excitement. Thankfully, it only took me 65 years to become conscious of the matter. Hopefully, you'll be able to regain some equilibrium very shortly.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

98 this morning.

Thank you John for the words of wisdom regarding our blood glucose values.  It took me a very long time to realize that 'good' stress can affect our values in an adverse way.  It still doesn't make sense to me, but I shall work on accepting stress for what it is.

Our kitchen is now done and today we're driving to the contractor's office to make the other half of the payment for it.  It is just now sinking into both my husband and myself that the beautiful counter and sink we have actually belongs to us.  We are so blessed and most grateful.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

98 this morning.  We broke the freezing point this morning at 26° (-3°C) but our high today is supposed to be 64° (17.8°C).
The Thomas Fire is heading to be the largest in California's history.  Right now it is 270,000 acres and the largest recorded was 273,246 acres so it will not be long before it passes that.  Now at 45% contained and winds have been mostly good but are supposed to get nasty by Wednesday. 
Yeah Barbara, I'm sure it scares you a bit because there is danger involved in fire fighting but they are trained quite well.  There are 8400 fire fighters on this fire right now and it is sad that one was killed but thankfully no more.
Kathy, super that your kitchen is done and now you can enjoy it.
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

bigskygal

107 (5.93) this breezy morning, 107 at bedtime last night too. Not numbers I like to see but it is what it is...

It got up to 43°F (6.11°C) today so I now have a muddy mess outside and on the dirt road up to the street.

Thanks Tamagno and Wally. He is a Battalion Chief so not on the front line, but still risky. I don't know if he is down there, he doesn't tell me when he gets assigned out of area as he doesn't want to worry me.

Yay Grammabear!! Congrats on the new kitchen!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

rocky

Grammabear, Congratulations on the brand new kitchen. And it's in good time as Christmas is around the corner. Happy cooking.

81 last evening and 95 this morning.
My life is based on a true story.

Shanny

Hey, KK . . . any chance you might post pix of the new kitchen?!  :)

Tamagno

113 this morning.

Yes, Grammabear, photos of the new kitchen, if you can. Happy cooking!

Yesterday afternoon we had a very rare couple of police cars on our road. Turns out they were just checking on the infirm elderly woman who lives at the end of our road. Thankfully, all is well.  Usually only see them here with an ambulance or chasing someone's cows.

I do love Tuesdays when my wife is at work and I'm home alone. Naturally, I love the woman, however, I really like solitude for the day for practicing, etc. I remain somewhat in awe of people with children (our pastor and his wife have seven) and can't imagine the constant flurry of activity. I sometimes think we might solve a lot of teen woes by having them get work at the age of 12 or so and marry at 16. They'd be too tired for carousing and trouble...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost