You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

Quote from: skb on March 10, 2017, 09:15:28 PM
The other benefits of metformin are now a part of empirical record. We had posted about it some time ago;
Yes, I remember that article and there are apparently indications that Metformin may be heart healthy so I have no reason to stop.  One item was that after taking Met for a long period of time some people had very low vitamin B-12 but only in a small percentage.  My doctor had my B-12 tested and I am on the high side of normal so not a problem.  The only thing I am not sure of is what dose provides these other benefits ?  The 500mg / day may not be enough.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

bigskygal

83 (4.6) this cloudy morning, 92 (5.1) at bedtime last night.

Oh my Wally!!  That's a lot of metal!!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

walkerwally1

Quote from: bigskygal on March 11, 2017, 08:02:08 PM

Oh my Wally!!  That's a lot of metal!!

Yeah, that's what I thought too.  The first time I saw the Dr. about 6 weeks ago I had a chance to look at the X-ray that was out on a display but my nephew that had driven me to the appointment was in a hurry and we left without looking at it.  When I mentioned a pin this time he said "It's not a pin, It's a rod."  Then he brought the copy of the X-ray and that is the first time I had seen it. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

Wally, I have a friend who met with a motorbike accident a few years ago and has a rod in both his legs. I think that the screws will be removed after some time ? But, you are doing very well in a short time and already notching up 5k steps. Truly inspirational.
An Indian girl Arunima Sinha is an amuptee with a prosthetic leg who has climbed all the 7 highest peaks in the Himalayas. She is now an inspirational speaker.

Morning fasting today 101.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

81 before dinner yesterday and 92 this morning.

Wally, pheww that's really a lot of metal. Will those screws be removed at some point of time?
My life is based on a true story.

walkerwally1

80 (4.43) this morning.  We made it up to 72° (22.22°C) yesterday which is about ideal.  It's not officially Spring yet but the weather is very Spring like.  Our Apricot tree is starting to bloom and the Almond and Apple trees will be right behind.  There is a very real chance that we will have a hard freeze after they all are in bloom.  It happens almost every year.
As far as I know the hardware including the screw are there to stay.  Initially the metal was providing all of the support when I walked and as the bone heals it takes more and more of the load.  Eventually the bone will provide full support and the metal is just along for the ride.  Removing the screw would require another surgery and I don't think it is necessary.  The break was where the top of the bone, the part with the ball, angles off at about 45° to the hip socket.  It had to be re-positioned and then the screw goes through the rod into the top part and holds it in position.  The amazing thing to me is that I only have about a 2 inch scar from the surgery.  How that is all done with such a small incision is a wonder.
I don't think my recovery is a big deal but I have worked to try and get back to normal as soon as I can.  There are people with much worse injuries than mine that have done remarkable things.  Age does have something to do with it but the body is still an amazing thing and people need to give it a chance to do it's thing and don't give up.   
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

84 (4.65) this partly cloudy morning, 94 (5.21) at bedtime.  not quite sure why the higher night time readings, but it is what it is.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

103 today morning on my more accurate OneTouch. Whereas my regular AccuChek says 111. I know that it reads 10% higher than lab in the normal BG range but I use it more often because of the cheaper strips and the additional benefit of being warned much earlier of rising BG.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

rocky

I recorded a 79 before dinner last evening and thought I'd be much lower with the morning number. However, it turned out to be 94. I guess I was a little late in testing.

walkerwally1

93 (5.15) this morning.  Another very nice day yesterday with a high temp. of 73° (22.78°C) and now the fruit trees are in full bloom and the bees are out in droves.  Interesting that the 10 day weather report shows the first day of Spring next week (3/20) we are expected to have a significant drop in temp. and  60% chance of rain !   ~ltn~
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

93 (5.15) this morning.  We woke up to 3+ inches of snow this morning and more is forecast throughout the day.  However toward the weekend the temperature is steadily rising above freezing so I think the snow will melt quickly.

Our lilac bushes are budding out and my rhubarb plants are pushing through the soil too.  I love my rhubarb so I'm happy to see they are doing well.

My husband and eldest son worked Saturday to fell several dead trees in our yard.  They have quite a pile of wood chunks to clean up and it surely is a lot of work.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

80 (4.43) this mostly clear morning, 82 (4.54) at bedtime last night.

Went to see my Oncologist today. All is well and I am heading towards 4 years cancer free in August.

Wally, when I lived in Arnold CA, that would happen every year with our apple trees.  It would warm u[ and they would blossom then another freeze came around and froze all the blossoms.  We had 8 trees and were lucky to get a couple apples every few years!

My lilacs here are no where near blooming yet.

skb

Yesterday was Holi, an important festival of India which marks the advent of Spring. It is customary to have some Bhang, made any which way. Someone sent over some sweets made out of Bhang and I had a couple of pieces. Nett result 118 this morning.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

rocky

81 last evening and 92 this morning. the next couple of days are going to be hectic work wise. Maybe I won't be posting every day, but I will surely be trying.