You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocky

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I think I am going to stick around with the current dosage.

@tamagno, very glad to know that you are eating solids. Keep it up sir.

@skb, I agree with the newer threads argument. I can see that many members would not even open the Fasting thread,just due to its name. I will keep this in mind and make newer threads next time if I have a question.

@ccd, I am nobody to advise but I think Shanny is right. You should increase your fats for energy requirements.

I clocked a 80 last evening before eating and 91 this morning.

Look guys, I love this forum. Just do your thing, don't bother what the others are doing.
My life is based on a true story.

Carbcrazydog

111 today morning after sticking to low carb yesterday. The 200+ numbers have put in a fear of carbs in me. Even when i eat a salad for dinner and test, a part of me thinks it will flash 200+. It was 108 at 1 hour post dinner.

Shanny- i agree, i need to up my fat. I just cant seem to eat anything other than a Caesar salad, a paleo almond dark chocolate bar and eggs. Where do i add more fat? I have glucerna and buttermilk and my vice diet coke apart from this. Need more vegetarian options.

Wally- your post on metformin was interesting. I wonder why a lot of people prefer insulin to metformin then? Also, do you think taking metformin early on then will eventually delay the progression of diabetes. I mean if i do low carb + metformin right now, is it better for my numbers in long term (10+ years) than just going low carb and stressing my system. I guess no one can ever know but would like an opinion.

There was someone called 'tish' in the earlier forum. Anyone knows her? I think of her a lot because when I was struggling post partum after my son, she said she had 5 teenagers ranging from 15-18 in her home. Her first pregnancy had twins and second had triplets. I think of her when i am losing my sanity :) Hope she is doing well!

Shanny

I just posted a good high fat Caesar dressing recipe, and without knowing how much dressing you use, it might be a good way to up the fats on your salads. I love Caesar salads! Just go easy on the croutons.

Eggs are a good choice, and if you eat them scrambled, you can always increase fat by adding butter, cream, cheese or all three. I usually add all three!  ;) If you eat your eggs fried, use lots of butter or ghee for the frying. If you eat them hard-cooked, adding mayonnaise will increase the fats, and if you eat them soft-cooked, you can always add butter.

Has your doctor prescribed Glucerna? I would be pretty leery of it, since what I've seen is it's pretty high carb. I saw 29g of carbs in an 8oz shake . . . that's high, and apparently other flavors are even higher. Plus if you check the ingredients, it's basically a long list of unpronounceable chemicals & additives. And buttermilk is by nature low-fat, so no help there.

If you ever drink coffee or tea, you can add scads of cream. You can even add butter & coconut oil along with the cream.

Maybe among all of us, we can come up with acceptable ways for you to increase fats and gain more energy. This is important!

skb

Quote from: Carbcrazydog on April 13, 2017, 01:12:35 AM
Shanny- i agree, i need to up my fat. I just cant seem to eat anything other than a Caesar salad, a paleo almond dark chocolate bar and eggs. Where do i add more fat? I have glucerna and buttermilk and my vice diet coke apart from this. Need more vegetarian options.

Whenever I meet up with a vegetarian trying to do LCHF, I am reminded of foxl (Linda) who is vegan, yet in ketosis. She banks heavily on Olive & Coconut Oils.
We do have so many recipes on our forum and I'm sure you can get lots of ideas there. I have a few on my blog, if you'd like to see

http://metabolicallychallenged.blogspot.in/2013/09/low-carb-recipes.html

Quote from: Carbcrazydog on April 13, 2017, 01:12:35 AM
Wally- your post on metformin was interesting. I wonder why a lot of people prefer insulin to metformin then? Also, do you think taking metformin early on then will eventually delay the progression of diabetes. I mean if i do low carb + metformin right now, is it better for my numbers in long term (10+ years) than just going low carb and stressing my system. I guess no one can ever know but would like an opinion.

The answer to the first part of your question would be that insulin is a hormone while metformin is a drug. That is why expectant mothers are put on insulin and not on metformin.

The second part is rather tricky to answer. First, we would need to look at the contentious issue, what is Diabetes (talking T2 here) and whether there is such a thing as pre-diabetes. Some doctors do precribe metformin for patients who they feel will eventually turn into diabetics, and also for weight loss. I guess there is no harm on being LCHF + being on met as it would help with the IR issues and keep numbers down. However, by going only LC you are not stressing your system at all. Keep the HF also in the equation and the body is quite happy that way.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Vahit

Hello to everyone from Vahit.

Some of the new readings for me.
11th April - 132
12th April - 118
13th April - 114

I am mostly on the move and cannot control my food as I want. I am trying my best.

Have a great day.

Tamagno

202 this morning.

Actually, Shanny, there are only a couple of choices for diabetics on feeding tube and one is Glucerna. I had to use that for several months before switching to Diabetisource. Both are very high carb. There alone I'm probably getting 150 carbs a day...
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

91 (5.04) this morning.  A surprising 45° (7.22°C) this morning, mainly due to cloud cover.  The front is moving through and it will be windy today with possible blowing dust.  Ugh !

I believe Metformin is helpful but it will not take the place of low carb.  It does not increase insulin output and will not compensate for eating high carbs. 

I have no idea why Glucerna is in the Diabetic section.  It is advertised for Diabetics and it is terribly high in carbs.  No wonder why people have problems doing the right thing. 

Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

110 (6.09) this morning.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Shanny

Quote from: skb on April 13, 2017, 04:00:36 AM
Whenever I meet up with a vegetarian trying to do LCHF, I am reminded of foxl (Linda) who is vegan, yet in ketosis. She banks heavily on Olive & Coconut Oils.

Linda is not a vegan - she a practicing ovo-lacto vegetarian, which means she doesn't eat meat but she eats eggs and dairy along with her vegetables. She also uses other animal products which vegans do not do. And she serves meat for her children - not insisting that her children observe veganism. But yes, she relies heavily on fats and has used fat fasts several times to help with weight loss.

bigskygal

73 (4.04) this cloudy morning, 76 (4.21) at bedtime last night.

It got up to 50°F (10°C) today.  Rained this afternoon and may for the rest of the evening on and off.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Yesterday evening I was at 90 after a 2.5-3.0 km walk. When glycogen depleted I can find myself in the low 70s in comparable circumstances. It was the morning number that took me by complete surprise. It was 94. I ate small portions and did not indulge in anything afterwards. But I haven't seen this type of a number in a long long time. Hope it was not a one-off event.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

79 last evening before dinner and 90 fasting this morning.

@skb, that's a great fasting number. Hope this continues  ;)
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

178 this morning.

I convinced my Big Pharma friend to try LCHF last fall with a resulting weight loss of 40 lbs. so far.

Works every time it's tried...
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

76 (4.21) this morning.  The wind blew like crazy all day yesterday and last night.  Scary at times as our house is surrounded by some large Cotton Wood trees and in the past we have had some rather large limbs come down.   No damage though, just a loud roaring through the night.  It should be windy today also, typical April.

I have an appointment for a follow up with the Surgeon that did my hip repair this morning.  Sometimes it seems like I just go from one doctor to another, well, I guess I do.  Hip is good and continues to improve but I am interested on what he says about my knees.  I had X-rays of my hip and both knees taken Monday and he seems interested in helping me with the osteoarthritis. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

112 this morning and my blood sugar was steady throughout the night.  I've made some adjustments to my nighttime insulin and maybe, just maybe, I have the right combination for a change.  Both my grown sons and their families will be home for the Easter holiday weekend.  First time in a long while and that makes me happy.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."