You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbcrazydog

My strips will take 5-6 days to come :(

skb- I have done lab testing only when i was pregnant and did not actually compare the results. It is better that the strips show higher instead of lower. Lower would be worse, i guess.

skb

Good to be back online, and almost dot on time announced.

Paulomi, it is always a good strategy to use a meter which reads higher and take those numbers at face value, without applying any correction.
JFYI, My experience with cross checking lab/meter many times is that the Active reads 10% higher at lower ranges (70-115). Definitely 15% higher over 125, and 20% higher over 150. Could be 25% off mark at higher than this.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

High this morning.

Managed to lose a few pounds last week so I'm stuck with the feeding tube awhile. With low carbs, gaining could be tricky.

Good thing is that I can now take meds by mouth.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

99 (5.48) this morning.  Hoping to see it warm up a bit but at least the wind has stopped for now. 
@Tamagno, Oh well, it would surely be nice to get rid of the feeding tube but hopefully it won't be too long. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

88 this morning.

skb - Have you ever done any cross checking on the Bayer Contour Next meter, which is the one I use.  I suspect it reads a lot lower because my lab results are always higher than what my meter tells me.

Tamagno - Did doctor have any suggestions on how you could gain a few pounds?  My grandson was 16 and the Pediatrician suggested to him that he eat a few slices of cheese between meals and to definitely not skip any meals.  He is still thin but not losing any more weight.  At least you can now take things by mouth which must seem good to you.

Wally - Your winds have stopped at your place and started up over here.  We have North winds at 15-20 mph and a temperature of 45 deg F.  But we have sunshine which is greatly appreciated....:)
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

Grammabear, I have been using the  Bayer Contour Next meter for about 2 years now and I find it to be quite in line with what I expect.  I ended up with three of them, long story, and all three are within 1 point of mg/dl of each other when I tested them several times.  I have compared them to lab results and there is a difference but not big enough to be concerned about.  Of course that is just the results from my meters and others may be different but I have been happy with them.  The best thing is that the meters seem to be very consistent so I tend to believe the results. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on April 21, 2017, 10:26:00 AM
skb - Have you ever done any cross checking on the Bayer Contour Next meter, which is the one I use.  I suspect it reads a lot lower because my lab results are always higher than what my meter tells me.

Kathy,
I owned a Bayer Contour years ago. I gave it away to someone as I was not too happy with it. Right now I use 2 meters, the AccuChek Active and the One Touch Select. While strips for the AccuChek cost Rs 1100 per 100. The one touch strips would cost Rs 1700 for that quantity. If. My One Touch is reading 100, I can be sure of getting a 120 on the AccuChek.

I now check twice a day, but in my learning stage I would use up 100 strips in a week. Therefore the cost of strips was important. One thing good about the AccuChek is that it is very consistent. You can never doubt its readings.

John, Hope you gain a few lbs fast.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

walkerwally1

One important distinctions is that the Bayer Contour and the Contour Next are two different meters.  I bought the Bayer Contour not knowing that the newer Contour Next had come out and I have to agree that it was not very impressive.  Bayer replaced the Contour with a contour Next and I had already ordered one and somehow got two so I ended up with three meters.  The Contour Next uses different test strips and I don't know if that is where the improvement came from or not but at least mine work as well as I expect.  I also was looking for a better price for strips and compared to the One Touch strips I was using these were quite a bit less.   
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

74 (4.1) this partly cloudy morning, 71 (3.93) at bedtime last night.

Tamagno, sorry about the tube, but it is good you can take meds by mouth.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Yes I' was talking about the Bayer Contour. The Next had not been released by then.

111 this morning. Didn't test yesterday as I was down with throat infection and fever. I knew my numbers would be off track.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

rocky

Quote from: skb on April 21, 2017, 11:02:16 AM
I now check twice a day, but in my learning stage I would use up 100 strips in a week. Therefore the cost of strips was important..

Phew. That's a lot of strips. Thankfully, I could bank upon the experience of you guys and never had to test more than 3 times a day.

83 before dinner last evening and 91 this morning.
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

High again this morning.

Meters are always an issue and I'm always curious to see what's in use in hospitals as they are presumably more accurate, especially at the high end.

Most recently they were using a Novamax (I think that's right) that looked impressive but that often required 2+ finger sticks and strips to get a reading. Can't speak to accuracy, but it did also read the bar code on my wrist band which I suppose is it's main qualifying feature.

Mainly I'm glad we have meters at all; a far cry from urine dip sticks!
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

114 (6.32) this morning - probably because I had a serving of mixed nuts last night and the protein and the fat spiked my blood sugars.

I had an Accu-chek meter in my early days as a PWD (person with diabetes) and liked it.  I ordered  a new Accu-chek guide meter which supposedly talks to my phone.  So I will have to conducts my own tests to see how it compares to the Contour Next meter I currently have.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

Quote from: Tamagno on April 22, 2017, 06:39:42 AM

Mainly I'm glad we have meters at all; a far cry from urine dip sticks!
Yes, I think we have to stop and think about how lucky we are to have new technology to help.  My main reason for selecting the Bayer Contour Next was that it connects to my PC with USB and downloads all of my readings.  I can then print out a report and that is handy.  I think the bottom line is that when you find a meter that you like stick with it.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

walkerwally1

76 (4.21) this morning.  We got up to 75° (23.9°C) yesterday and it was really nice outside.  It looks like we will see a drop in temps starting tomorrow and it will be getting windy.  Ugh !
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024