You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskygal

81 (4.49) this blue sky morning, 82 (4.54) at bedtime last night.

Temp here has been in the low 60's the last few days, but looks like a cooling trend is coming with temps in low 50's.  Nights are still in the low 30's.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: Tamagno on April 22, 2017, 06:39:42 AM
Meters are always an issue and I'm always curious to see what's in use in hospitals as they are presumably more accurate, especially at the high end.

Most recently they were using a Novamax (I think that's right) that looked impressive but that often required 2+ finger sticks and strips to get a reading. Can't speak to accuracy, but it did also read the bar code on my wrist band which I suppose is it's main qualifying feature.

Mainly I'm glad we have meters at all; a far cry from urine dip sticks!

Very true. My dad died in 1989 at age 63 with heart issues brought upon by uncontrolled diabetes. I remember he used those urine strips and those were also not easily available. Funnily, the KetoStix that I buy here, comes with a glucose reagent pad attached. It never changes colour.

I read a report a long time ago which compared (for accuracy) some 100 odd meters on the market. It placed the BioNime GM 100 at the top. The contact points on its strips are gold plated and hence the strips are very expensive. I bought the meter from USA but could not use the meter much as the strips were not available here. Now I think, this model has been discontinued.

88 pre-dinner and 105 this morning.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

I understand that really accurate meters would be very bulky, expensive and cumbersome to use, the way we test. I'm glad that they are handy even at the cost of being a bit inaccurate. It's the range that matters  ;D
Look at me talking like The Yoda  :P

90 this morning.   
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

High this morning.

SKB, I think the urine sticks only produced readings when glucose was over 200. One of the reasons the diagnosis of "juvenile diabetes" in children was so devastating (still is, but we've much better tech).
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

99 (5.48) this morning.  We reached a high temp. of 78° (25.6°C) yesterday with a slight breeze, lovely day.  It's supposed to get cooler and windy starting today and for the next week.  Cooler will not be bad but I really hate the wind.   
Yeah, the meters we have today aren't perfect and strips are expensive but compared to what was available a few years ago I think we are lucky and they do keep improving.  The work being done on alternative methods is exciting and in the future we may not need meters at all.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

92 (5.1) this rainy morning, 82 at bedtime last night.  It rained ovrn night and early this morning but cleared this afternoon.  Looking ahead, snow is predicted for  Thursday.  We shall see, it isn't uncommon for here..has snowed in June...

I want to gt my yard cleaned up...I was so happy with the company I found last year, but now the have retired and I have to try their replacement... sux

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

123 today morning thanks to throat / chest infection and a traditional concoction that I took last night. It is a bit sweetened.
This entire week is the Big Fat Indian wedding that I've been talking about, out of which 4 days will be in Goa. Food is generally going to be bad & I don't think I'll be testing, but I'm going to try and stick to the lesser harmful stuff.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

rocky

Weddings are generally a bad time for food discipline and items which fit our system are rarely to be found in the spread. skb, I wish you all the strength to resist temptation.

I was 78 last evening before dinner and 92 this morning. I think I would have been lower had I tested a little earlier.

Tamagno

High this morning.

The ticks this spring are completely out of control, the result of a relatively mild winter. Tick-borne diseases are serious, so we're having them sprayed. At this point, it's not even safe to walk out to the mailbox.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

98 (5.43) this morning.  It's supposed to be cooler and windy all week.  Today the prediction is for winds of 25-35 MPH with possible gusts to 55 MPH.  No rain in sight for at least the next 10 days.
@SKB, not easy dealing with an infection and then a Wedding but you will get through it.
@Tamagno, we are lucky here and rarely see any ticks.  We had a dog get one several years ago but that was all.  Keeping an eye out this year though. 
Off to the Dentist this morning.  Regular cleaning then I have 8 teeth that are getting a resin treatment to replace worn enamel.  My dentist says it is normal wear and I can feel it with my tongue so I think I will like it when done.  Another time I am glad to have dental insurance.

Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

144 (7.98) this morning because of mixed nuts I ate last night.  Guess nuts are off my 'good list' now.  :(

Ticks are a darn nuisance.  My husband was born and raised in WI and as a result he always checks for ticks on himself when he comes in from outside.  We never used to have ticks here, but we do now.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

75 (4.16) this morning, 86 (4.76) at bedtime last night at bedtime.

rocky

81 for the evening pre meal number and 95 this morning. A consequence of testing late, again.

Carbcrazydog

I should be getting my strips in 1-2 days as per the latest update they sent. Just dropped in to say Hi

I had a huge problem with ticks with my previous dogs. It was horrible. And once they infest within the house, they just grow exponentially.

skb- good luck with the wedding. The best dessert I have had at weddings are 'tava mithai' and 'sitafal basundi'. Tava mithai is a mix of many desserts on a hot pan. Something like the cold stone icecream where they mix it in front of you. This is hot and mixed as per your favorite desserts. Sitafal basundi is custard apple sweetened milk. I remember having 3 big bowls as a kid. I guess my pancreas is still coping up with that after all these years!

skb

Quote from: Carbcrazydog on April 25, 2017, 02:38:02 AM
skb- good luck with the wedding. The best dessert I have had at weddings are 'tava mithai' and 'sitafal basundi'. Tava mithai is a mix of many desserts on a hot pan. Something like the cold stone icecream where they mix it in front of you. This is hot and mixed as per your favorite desserts. Sitafal basundi is custard apple sweetened milk. I remember having 3 big bowls as a kid. I guess my pancreas is still coping up with that after all these years!

;D ;D Thanks, but I think I'll pass.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club