You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

89 pre-dinner and 102 Fasting.

My  ~2cnt~

BG is an all important number, and it matters, whatever the time of the day. Also, it is not a static numbers and moves up or down from moment to moment. A number of factors make it move, the more important among them being food and physical activity. Since both of these are missing during the sleep hours, and, it also happens to be our longest break from food or activity, it gains importance as a baseline number.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

@Shanny, you've never eaten a mango ?  ???

I test BG at morning fasting and before dinner because I don't carry the meter with me to work. On Saturdays and Sundays I sometimes check before or after lunch.

Last evening before dinner 82 and 95 today morning.
My life is based on a true story.

Shanny

I bought one at the grocery today and I'm darn well gonna eat it now!  ;D

Tamagno

144 this morning.

My chicken tikka yesterday came out pretty good. I want to branch out some and am going to look for an Asian grocery somewhere hopefully not too far. I like Indian and Thai flavors very much and need more spices. As long as I stay away from rice, noodles and fruit all is well.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

98 (5.43) this morning.  Our temperature is forecast to be 75 deg F (23.8 C) today which is just about perfect in my book.  The weekend is supposed to be in the 90s which doesn't excite me at all.

John - If you feel comfortable sharing your recipe for chicken tikka, I like that kind of dish too and I'm always looking for something that is tried and true.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

99 (5.48) this morning.  We got to 89° (31.7°C) yesterday and should be about the same today and then tomorrow we start to drop 10-15° for the weekend and it will be windy.
@SKB, I don't mean to imply that the fasting number is not important but I also don't think it is the complete picture.  I believe that it is important to test 1-2 hours after a meal to know how high you have gone.  Anyone can check my bg chart and see that I am normally under 120 at all times and have only gone over that about 6 times in the last 6 months, and never over 140.  I thing that is what I need to concentrate on and to get those numbers I do test 4-5 times a day.  I am probably a bit OCD about it and have too much time on my hands but I also think that the ADA guidelines that say testing once a day is good enough are wrong also. 
I'm just kind of thinking out loud, not claiming to know anything. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

77 (4.27) this mostly clear morning, 84 (4.65) at bedtime last night.

We are expecting temps in the 60's after tomorrow.  My cotton wood trees are shedding a lot!! It looks like it is snowing outside! 

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

106 this morning. Didn't check last night as I had eaten a few nuts before I got home.

Wally, that's exactly what I have said. BG is important at all times. More than any single number, the 24 hour BG Profile is more important and I think that the A1c is a weighted average of the 24 hr profile over a 3-4 month period. I was just also implying the importance of the morning fasting number to any one interested in health care.

It rained a bit yesterday and the skies are covered with dark clouds. I hope it continues that way.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Quote from: Shanny on June 07, 2017, 01:49:17 AM
I bought one at the grocery today and I'm darn well gonna eat it now!  ;D
;D
Hope you liked it Shanny.

My numbers were 81 before dinner and 92 today morning. Back into my range I'd think.
My life is based on a true story.

Shanny

Well, my mango got lost for a few hours - overnight in fact - because the bag it was in slid off the back seat onto the floor of the car, which we didn't notice when we first carried the groceries into the house. But my everlovin' went out & got the errant groceries this afternoon, so we diced up the mango after supper & found it quite tasty. It's a beautiful fruit . . . this one was a glorious ruby red all over & very rich & juicy once cut up. Shared between the two of us, it didn't do quite so much damage to blood sugar.  :-\

Tamagno

97 this morning.

Kathy, I'll have to see if I can post that recipe over on the food part. I amalgamated several cooking videos I found on YouTube. The big thing with it is to marinate long enough; in my case I did it two days.

Warm weather today, please?
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

78 (4.32) this morning.  It is supposed to start cooling down starting today, probably 5-10 degrees, and it will be windy for the next 4-5 days. 
I was stationed in Hawaii for about 9 months and there Mangos are a major item.  They are good, no doubt about that but if I had a choice I would prefer a peach.  No problem though because they are both off the diet anymore. 
@SKB, yeah, I was just wondering why health professionals seem to focus on fasting bg and ignore any other testing.  I thing it goes to ADA guidelines that apparently have not changed much.  They still call "tight control" staying under 180 mg/dl after meals and an A1c of 7% or lower.  They also still advocate testing only once a day for most T2 diabetics.  No wonder that so many people with T2 have a very hard time trying to have any type of control. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

97 (5.37) this morning.

Weather here is 75 deg and sunny today.  Tomorrow is a different story altogether with heat and humidity moving into the area with temperatures in the 90s........ :(
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Shanny

Quote from: walkerwally1 on June 08, 2017, 09:58:45 AM@SKB, yeah, I was just wondering why health professionals seem to focus on fasting bg and ignore any other testing.  I thing it goes to ADA guidelines that apparently have not changed much.  They still call "tight control" staying under 180 mg/dl after meals and an A1c of 7% or lower.  They also still advocate testing only once a day for most T2 diabetics.  No wonder that so many people with T2 have a very hard time trying to have any type of control.
I fervently agree with this . . . the ADA, CDA, et.al., are so politicized and have been supported by big corporations for so long (Big Agriculture, Big Pharmacy . . . here's the list of their biggest donors: http://www.diabetes.org/about-us/corporate-support/our-corporate-supporters.html) Have you looked at their site lately? Compare those corporate donors with what they say in their mission statement: Our Mission:  To prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.

How is that even possible when the profits of all those highest ranking donors come from drugs and devices - products which rely on - not a cure - but continued treatment of diabetes.

And their idea of treatment? Why of course! Eat lots of grain & starch! http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/grains-and-starchy-vegetables.html?loc=ff-slabnav

Grammabear

I could not agree with you more Shanny.  I live in the rural area of our town and we are surrounded by fields of wheat, corn, oats and soybeans.  It has been this way for literally years.  Big Agriculture and Big Pharma have a 'strangle-hold' on the American consumer and quite possibly on healthcare professionals too.

Recently in a diabetes support group, the comment was made that although Drs like to advise diabetics to eat 45-60 carbohydrates each meal, in real life that just doesn't work.  Someday maybe more people will wake up and realize that we've been fed a line of baloney.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021