You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Talking of Annoying Birds. I was a regular volunteer for the Animal Census in the forests of central India in the 90s. I remember one particular night, we were 3 guys spending a night on a machan. I was pretty tired, just having driven 1200 kms from Mumbai. So we resolved to sleep in turns.

A bird known as The Brain Fever bird was nesting somewhere close by. It is named so, because her call sounds like the words "brain fever". The bird's call is repeated 7-8 times, each one going higher in volume, pitch & tempo. And after a break of a few seconds, it starts all over again. Needless to say, we spent the whole night awake, as sounds in the forest are amplified due to the silence and stillness, particularly at night. I have recordings of bird calls somewhere, and will post the audio clip later.

115 today morning.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Wow, I'd love to hear that clipping when you can post.

82 yesterday's pre meal number and 94 this morning.
My life is based on a true story.

bigskygal

81 (4.49) this cloudy drizzly morning, 90 (4.99) at bedtime last night.

I am so frustrated with my pcp!!!   Since my A1c was 5.2% and my fasting was 72 he has declared I am "cured" of diabetes!!  I don't have all the paperwork handy, it is still in the car, but my HDL was in the 90's and he says that is "amazing", I said probably because all of the fat I eat and he said "no it is genetics"  this never was said before!!  He wanted to take diabetes off my  dx. I said if you do, I can't get strips from my ins.  He said I only needed to test a couple times a month!! Yikes!!  Holy crow he just doesn't understand it is LCHF that is causing this.  I said if I went back to the SAD I would be totally diabetic again. 

What he did was change my dx to insulin  resistant, resolved, and left diabetes on my list of problems.

I just want to tear my hair out.  There are apparently new medicare rules in effect...to me they only punish those of us wha are really taking the bull by the horns and helping ourselves!!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Here it is, the call of the Brainfever Bird (Common Hawk Cuckoo)

[attachment deleted by admin]
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

179 this morning.

Cured of diabetes, BigSky? Seems to me there are six ways from Sunday you could make a pile of money with that official designation!
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Shanny

My blood boils at the thought of this kind of ignorance in the medical community. No dàmn wonder the diabetes epidemic continues to grow.  >:(

I'm afraid I'd have been tempted to tell that doc I would find another provider since he knows nothing at all about my disease or treating/controlling it.

Carbcrazydog

115 today morning after a late night outing with friends yesterday. We ad street food. And although i did have egg salad mostly, i did have a bite of heavenly vada pav. My numbers seem to be behaving better since i have lost around 4-5 kgs. Would be happy to have 5 more gone.

My son starts school next week. I am all emotional thinking of him going in that school bus alone.

I tried the cauliflower crust pizza a few times and though i agree with Tamagno that it does that the flavor of bread missing, it is not too bad and i love eating it without the guilt of overworking my pancreas and seeing numbers of the charts after a few hours.

walkerwally1

86 (4.76) this morning.  Still getting warmer, 95° (35°C) yesterday and will probably a couple of degrees warmer today.  Hottest day should be Monday and then we should cool down a bit.
Barbara, it is frustrating to say the least but as long as doctors are following ADA guidelines I am afraid that is what we are stuck with dealing with.  Of course everyone "knows" that the only way to control blood sugar is by taking drugs, lifestyle doesn't count, so if you are not taking medication and have normal blood sugar readings then you must be cured !  It is the only thing that makes sense to these people.  I am constantly amazed that several doctors I have seen in the last couple of years have stated that they have no patients with diabetes with an A1c as low as mine but not one of them has asked me what I do to maintain a 5% A1c.  It's like they don't want to know. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

The thing that irks me is that these should be fairly intelligent people - curious for knowledge at least - and what in the world is going on in our medical schools that such information isn't being taught - or at least made available? If people of this ilk are just in it for the money (and I realize some of them are), what a sorry commentary on education in this country. And where are the researchers? Why is there no effort to follow up on the dramatic LCHF results? Something doesn't add up here, and while I do blame ADA for a lot of it, that can't be the whole story.

Grammabear

Quote from: Shanny on June 17, 2017, 02:50:39 PM
The thing that irks me is that these should be fairly intelligent people - curious for knowledge at least - and what in the world is going on in our medical schools that such information isn't being taught - or at least made available? If people of this ilk are just in it for the money (and I realize some of them are), what a sorry commentary on education in this country. And where are the researchers? Why is there no effort to follow up on the dramatic LCHF results? Something doesn't add up here, and while I do blame ADA for a lot of it, that can't be the whole story.

I can tell you one small thing that is going on in our medical schools.  At the time before last visit with the GP, she had a medical student along with her supposedly listening and hopefully learning something that might be of value to him in the future.  Ya' want to know what he was doing whilst the doctor and I were discussing my diabetes................playing with his cell phone !  At this visit I told her I thought it was rude of the student to be playing on his cell phone while he was supposed to be listening, she just chuckled.  This is the future generation of doctors we are raising.   ~tnk~
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

90 (4.99) this partly cloudy morning, 98 (5.43) at bedtime.  I did stray a bit off the reservation yesterday when I was in town.  I bought a couple of spring rolls and a couple fried oysters at the hot bar in the grocery store.  So I earned the high bg!!

The odd thing is that my Oncologist follows a LC/HF diet and swears by it!  We have too many "Bigs"
as we discussed earlier, meddling in our medical care.  None of them are going to support a lifestyle change that is just avoiding carbs and adding more fat.  There is no profit in it for them.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

When a public service becomes a business, these are the things that follow. The American Dietary Guidelines took a U turn on cholesterol in 2015, but most doctors are not yet aware of it.

At least in the Indian context, my argument (with some people) is; If I see a medical practitioner who is 45-50 years of age, it is fair to assume that s/he completed their education 25 years ago. It further applies, that they studied from books published a decade or two before that, because it takes a hell of a lot of procedure & formality to change text books. Further, it also infers that those books are based on research which also took place anther 15-20 years ago. We all know how long it takes to even get a paper published.
When does a doctor get the time to update his knowledge to the current research, if he is seeing 100+ patients in a day ? That, IMHO is the problem. And those doctors that do take the time out to study more out of their own personal interest, are very few and are almost always ostracised by the majority.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Shanny

Quote from: Grammabear on June 17, 2017, 05:29:21 PMI can tell you one small thing that is going on in our medical schools.  At the time before last visit with the GP, she had a medical student along with her supposedly listening and hopefully learning something that might be of value to him in the future.  Ya' want to know what he was doing whilst the doctor and I were discussing my diabetes................playing with his cell phone !  At this visit I told her I thought it was rude of the student to be playing on his cell phone while he was supposed to be listening, she just chuckled.  This is the future generation of doctors we are raising.   ~tnk~
>:( >:( >:(

Shanny

Quote from: bigskygal on June 17, 2017, 06:25:43 PMI bought a couple of spring rolls and a couple fried oysters at the hot bar in the grocery store.  So I earned the high bg!!
The odd thing is that my Oncologist follows a LC/HF diet and swears by it!  We have too many "Bigs"
as we discussed earlier, meddling in our medical care.  None of them are going to support a lifestyle change that is just avoiding carbs and adding more fat.  There is no profit in it for them.
Yep - it's always all about the money these days, and good health be dàmned.  :(

OMG - fried oysters! I haven't had those in YEARS! Mebbe I should make some myself using low-carb breading mix. Y'think it might work okay?

Tamagno

158 this morning.

For some reason, doctors don't argue with me when I tell them about my diet. Must be my charm...

Has anyone watched "The Wild Chef" on Netflix? Interesting cuisine.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost