You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Tips & Tricks

Started by skb, January 07, 2017, 02:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Some of us are old forum hands while some are new and probably this is their first ever forum. This topic is for old & new forum faithfuls to submit their small Tips & Tricks for sharing with others. Hopefully this will make forum use, a better experience for all. I'll go first.

When making a post, there is the Post or Preview buttons below the text box. Clicking that will do the needful, BUT, just above that, is a shortcut hint to do the same from your keyboard itself, and not go for the mouse.

alt+s to post & alt+p to preview
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

skb

When typing or editing a post, you can click this area of your text box with the mouse and drag it down to enlarge the size of the text box.

No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

skb

On the home page of the forum, if you find it inconvenient to scroll all the way down, you can collapse an entire Category by clicking on the Name of the category or the [-] button on the right side.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

skb

Here's another interesting Trick that I discovered only today.

At the bottom of every post, next to the Like button, is the information how many people have liked that post. Clicking this opens up the list of people who have liked the post. If the list is very long, all the names don't display in the pane that open up. But if you click that same link twice or thrice rapidly a larger window pane opens up displaying all the names in one screen.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

skb

If you like to use special symbols in your posts, this site is a good resource.
https://tools.oratory.com/altcodes.html

We all talk of the weather & temperatures in our fasting posts. You can type "Alt+248" to get the "°" symbol. NumLock has to be on, and only the number keys on the right side Number Pad seem to work. 
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

walkerwally1

That is quite useful.  I use Windows Character Map and made a document with symbols I used and can then copy and paste quite easily.  I have never been good at remembering key shortcuts, LOL.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

I've always used the ASCII codes, but that's just what I'm used to - I used Wally's character map before I discovered ASCII. Whatever works, I always say!  ;D

walkerwally1

Quote from: walkerwally1 on March 28, 2019, 10:29:41 AM
Quote from: skb on March 27, 2019, 08:56:10 PM
Quote from: Grammabear on March 27, 2019, 09:25:22 AMI haven't found the smiley emoticons yet, anyone know where they are hiding?

Like Wally said, if you use the 'Quick Reply' box at the bottom of the posts, the editor will open up without the Emojis. If you want to use them, you have to click the "Reply" button and the extra Emoticons can be found by clicking the "More" button.

You cannot view this attachment.

Note : If you use the "Quote" option for a reply, by default it will open up the "Quick Reply" box.

The workaround for that is (to use Quote + Emoticons) ;
1. Click Quote to open the Quick Reply box with the nested Quote.
2. Select all the text and use Cntrl+C (to copy) or Cntrl+X (to cut)
3. Now click the Back Button and then the Reply button
4. Cntrl+V to paste the copied text into it and proceed.

Complicated, but that is how it is.
I also found that if you are in the "Quick Reply box you can just click on the "Preview" button and it takes everything to the regular reply box with all of the Emoticons.  Easy   :D
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Some of us (namely me) need ALL the help we can get.   ::)
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Tamagno

Don't we all, Grammabear...
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

skb

Another one that I discovered today. If you click on the Category name (see image) it will list all your unread posts in just that Category. The Arrow head on the other end is the Collapse / Expand button.

You cannot view this attachment.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

Quote from: Tamagno on March 29, 2019, 03:45:32 AMDon't we all, Grammabear...

Tamagno - I sometimes feel hopelessly inadequate when it comes to technical things.  I believe my 18 yr old grandson is much wiser when it comes to technical things.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Grammabear

Quote from: Shanny on March 31, 2017, 07:18:26 PMI've always used the ASCII codes, but that's just what I'm used to - I used Wally's character map before I discovered ASCII. Whatever works, I always say!  ;D

Where could one go to learn about these things you've mentioned?  I would like to try and learn, but don't know where to start.   :)
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on March 29, 2019, 09:15:13 AMWhere could one go to learn about these things you've mentioned?  I would like to try and learn, but don't know where to start.   :)

Google Search is a pretty good place to start. You can ask it any question and it will always bring up the best answers
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

Google search is great, isn't it?

Inevitably, though, I think eventually you just have to get your hands dirty and try things out. (I've made incredibly gonzo messes doing that, but...)

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost