You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Difference in meter and lab

Started by Vahit, March 15, 2017, 03:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vahit

Hello everyone from Vahit.

Today I got lab results from a routine check. My A1c has come down to 6.8
My fasting number with the lab test turned out to be 101 while it was 120 on my home meter.

My question is why are the 2 different ? Is it because the meter is supplied blood by the finger tip and the lab draws the blood from the elbow side ? What are your thoughts.

Have a nice day.

skb

Hello Vahit,

First of all congratulations on dropping your A1c from 7.4 to 6.8. That's a 22 point drop in average BG in a very short time. "You must be doing something right" would have been a thought would have crossed your mind. Well, LCHF & Eat to Your Meter are both eating protocols that work wonders. Now to the questions raised by you;

There are some obvious and some not so obvious reasons why lab results & home meter results are different.

(1) Labs use venous blood and meters use capillary blood.
(2) Labs use a larger blood sample while meters use just a drop.
(3) The major reason for the difference in results, is that the labs test the Blood Plasma (the watery part) for the BG reading while the home meter tests the Whole Blood (plasma + cells) and displays a calculated result as if you were testing just the plasma.
(4) The method and science behind determination of BG is also different between a lab and meter.

These are the major differences that come to mind, though there may be other reasons as well. Given the amount of variables, it is natural to expect some differences between labs and meters. How much, is a question that hasn't been answered too well. Some have placed the difference as around 20 mg/dl, while others say that it could be as high as 12%. Accuracy, is a completely different subject. Expectedly, labs are much more accurate than home meters. 
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Shanny

How many hours between your home test and the lab test? That is also a factor.

You're doing well, and I think you'll continue improving as long as you adhere to LCHF and eat-to-your-meter!  ~klp~

rocky

Vahit,

Many thanks for this thread. These questions never occurred to me and the information generated is substantial and hard to find.
My life is based on a true story.

Vahit

Thank you for your replies and all the information.

So it is okay to have a different reading between the lab and the meter. My lab also said that cholesterol is high. I think it was 243 or something like that. Do you think I should go to meet with my doctor ? Please advice.

Shanny

The LCHF way-of-eating will regulate your cholesterol, Vahit. The doctor will want to put you on statin drugs to lower it, but those are not very safe. I took them for a year myself, and they caused pain and loss of strength in my arms and hands. Others have had such bad side effects they could hardly get out of bed.

If you keep carbs out of your meals, and get plenty of natural saturated and unsaturated fats, your cholesterol will drop.

rocky

Quote from: Shanny on March 16, 2017, 08:14:57 AM
The LCHF way-of-eating will regulate your cholesterol, Vahit. The doctor will want to put you on statin drugs to lower it, but those are not very safe. I took them for a year myself, and they caused pain and loss of strength in my arms and hands. Others have had such bad side effects they could hardly get out of bed.

If you keep carbs out of your meals, and get plenty of natural saturated and unsaturated fats, your cholesterol will drop.

Vahit, you must listen to this advice. These people know their science. I've been following forum advice for the better part of a year now. All medical issues have resolved and I have lost about 32 lbs. The weight is no longer dropping but I am happy where I am.

skb

Quote from: Vahit on March 16, 2017, 04:44:10 AM
My lab also said that cholesterol is high. I think it was 243 or something like that. Do you think I should go to meet with my doctor ? Please advice.

That IMO is a perfect cholesterol level. That level is associated with the highest life expectancy.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Vahit

Thank you for explanation.

One question, then why is lab telling us it is high and scaring us people. I showed report to my doctor but he did not give me any medication for cholesterol. I think he is a good doctor. 

Shanny

I think he's a good doctor too, since he didn't prescribe cholesterol medicine. Keep up with LCHF and it will regulate your cholesterol just fine. Our bodies NEED cholesterol!

rocky

Quote from: Vahit on March 21, 2017, 05:01:46 AM
One question, then why is lab telling us it is high and scaring us people.

Vahit, Hope you've seen the other discussion on "Why we follow our Doctor's advice on Nutrition". That's part of the answer to your question. And yes, I agree that you have a smart doctor. Don't lose him.

walkerwally1

Quote from: Vahit on March 21, 2017, 05:01:46 AM

One question, then why is lab telling us it is high and scaring us people. I showed report to my doctor but he did not give me any medication for cholesterol.

The reference range the Lab gives is based on normal readings for the general population.  It's good to know the results from your tests and how they compare to what is considered "normal", however, I always wait for my doctors advice on my lab results.  Your doctor knows you and what your body is doing and can give much more relevant advice regarding the test results.  Sometimes my doctor considers a number that is out of range no problem and sometimes a very small difference raises an alarm.   
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

That is a very good point you raise, Wally. "Normal" is nothing but a statistical average. A doctor from Bangalore, India - Dr B M Hegde, who is a very respected physician worldwide has written a book titled "What Doctors don't learn in medical school". He is very much against the medical practice of treatment by statistical averages. Many of his lectures and speeches are available on YouTube & worth watching.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

skb - Is Dr. Hedge's book still available in print?  It sounds like very interesting reading.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."