You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Why Are You Relying on Your Doctor for Nutrition Advice ?

Started by walkerwally1, March 21, 2017, 06:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

A post from the blog of the Low Carb RN.  The fact is that Doctors have little or no training in nutrition.  Worth a read I think.
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/why-are-you-relying-on-your-doctor-or-nurse-for-nutrition-advice/
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Yes, definitely worth a read.  All I've ever heard from any doctor is to "follow a balanced diet".  This isn't very good advice for someone with diabetes.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

My PCP takes the attitude, keep doing what you are doing, but I don't want details. On the other hand my Oncologist is following his own lc/hf journey and is always asking what I am doing. 

Recently I have been having problems with the hf part and cut back some.  I am not ketogeic right now but keeping low carb med protein has kept my #'s in range.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on March 21, 2017, 06:13:55 PM
The fact is that Doctors have little or no training in nutrition.

Factually, just one week in their first semester. They hardly ever go back to basic biochemistry ever afterwards. And, they are too young and raw to ever question the science behind what they are being taught. Once trained and practising, they hardly have the time or inclination to do that.

It is easy for us to eat LCHF and to propagate it, its very hard doing that once you're a part of the system. So, hats off to those doctors who are openly supportive of the LCHF idea.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Shanny

I did not take my doc's advice on nutrition; I dug in my heels and went with LCHF and eat-to-your-meter, to his dismay. In my first year he would tell me that I tested too much & went too low-carb.

But as time went on, he recognized and accepted that it was LCHF along with metformin, that was regulating my blood sugar so well, and after I rejected the statins he had prescribed for the first year, he was amazed to see that LCHF also lowered my cholesterol all by itself!

In more recent years, he has adopted LCHF himself, for weight loss, and is advocating it for his other patients!  `8)  Such a joy to have a doc with an open mind!  ~bnc~

rocky

One week in their first semester ? Really ?
And we place so much faith in their advice and their profession.

Shanny, It is so nice of you to get your doctor to follow you  ;) Hope he is a convert now and passing on that advice to others. 
My life is based on a true story.