You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

The Somogyi Effect

Started by skb, June 24, 2017, 11:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Early morning hyperglycaemia is usually attributed to The Dawn Phenomenon. However, sometimes, there is another mechanism at play, that could be the cause of the higher morning numbers - The Somogyi Effect. We've discussed this on earlier forums, but surprisingly, the subject hasn't come up here, even though we've been operative for over a year.

I thought, I'd place this for your consideration and comments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_Somogyi_rebound
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Great. Just when I thought I knew enough of this disease, there pops up another chapter to read.  :(
But thanks for the link skb. I have never encountered this Phenomenon in whatever little I've read about diabetes. 
My life is based on a true story.

Grammabear

Interesting post and I wish someone would tell me how do you know the difference between a 'site absorption' problem and the Somogyi effect?
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Tamagno

The Somagyi Effect is the subject of some controversy among researchers and diabetics with the former now claiming it doesn't exist in some circles and the latter similarly claiming it does.

Grammabear, most type 1s continue to make some insulin which often seems to appear on a schedule for which we adjust basal rates. The amount we make changes over time and according to other factors that can be frustrating to try to predict. If there's a site absorption problem I'd expect it to effect glucose around the clock regardless of other factors.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on June 25, 2017, 11:17:04 AM
Interesting post and I wish someone would tell me how do you know the difference between a 'site absorption' problem and the Somogyi effect?

Good question. The underlying causes are contradictory with the same result - hyperglycaemia. Site absorption would be low insulin availability, whereas the cause for Somogyi is an abundance of insulin. How to tell the difference of one from the other ? I guess, you'd be the best judge of that or you'd need a CGM type of device that measures serum insulin.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH