You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanny

We're ordering more & more online. Basically because we're in favor of the mailman carrying the boxes up to the house & placing them on the kitchen table, instead of us having to lug them in from the car!  ;D

Tamagno

134 this morning.

I buy several things at Aldis but have to steel myself to go. For some reason, both shoppers and checkout clerks seem always in a great rush. The bad news is ours is closing in the fall for renovations, so I'll have to look elsewhere for meats or just become vegan awhile.

In a fit of something or other, I bought one of those vegetable spiralizerz yesterday. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but it looks a good way to get all manner of veggies sliced up. Meanwhile, my cooking fit included making a spicy, sweet peanut dressing. While a bit hard to estimate carbs (it contains peanut butter and peanuts), the stuff is good and doesn't seem to add too many carbs.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

90 this morning.  It's supposed to be a bit cooler today but clouds and possible thunderstorms.  Next week it gets hotter with a couple of days reaching 112°.
It used to be a 30 mile drive one way for me from the old house to town with nothing in between.  Now it is 1.6 miles to Walmart and about 3 miles all the way to the other side of town.   :D  I don't miss the drive.
Shanny, never had a mailman deliver a package inside.  They may leave it on the porch, at the other house they left packages by the gate.  You have a special mailman.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

Well, they only leave them on the table if one of us is there to open the door & let 'em in, but nevertheless . . .  ;)

And in a rural area like this, our regular mail carrier knows us. Even the regular UPS guy begins to get to know us, so it's nice, if you don't mind that. Before we moved out here, I warned DH (who's big city born & bred) that he wouldn't know anybody, but everybody would know who he is. That's small town life for ya!  ;D  I was born/bred in a small town, and not only did everybody in town know who I am . . . most of them were related to me!  `8)

Grammabear

102 this morning.

Shopping at Aldis is a 'hurried' experience and I think it is because so many of the shoppers there are working parents or older people still working.  They want to get in and get out quick.  I just stay out of their way and continue my shopping expedition.  It was a different experience at first however.

I remember small town living.  I used to tell my kids "don't try anything bad like skipping school because I know everybody in town and they will tell me when you try something funny."  Funny thing is that my oldest put that theory to the test one day.  When he got off the bus, I asked him "Why were you at a certain place this morning when you were supposed to be in school?"  Busted!!!  I still laugh about the good old days.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

113 this warm morning, don't know where that came from...it is what it is... 103 at bedtime last night.

I order more and more food online these days. My UPS and USPS delivery person will bring the box right to my door. I usually go out and meet them when they pull up.

Has anyone used Chewy.com for pet food??

John, I have a spiralizer, I go through phases of using it a lot to not at all. It makes great zucchini noodles for spaghetti.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

126 this morning.

Small town living beats city life any day despite whatever shopping inconvenience!

Tried my spiralizer yesterday on an onion and was surprised by its speed and easy clean up. I got the OXO one and am looking forward to using it more. Much, much easier than dragging out the food processor and faster than by hand.

Looks like my WiFi router and range extenders are on their last legs. My Apple ones have been great and trouble free for some years but Apple's dropped that line and it looks like the newest thing are the "mesh" ones. Google's product looks best in many respects but I don't like so much it's requirement to stay logged in to your Google account. Anybody else used these yet?

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

84 this morning.  We got a bit of thunder and lightening yesterday in the late afternoon but no rain, just higher humidity.
Should be about the same today.

Where I lived before was 30 miles away from a small town and in many ways it was really nice.  It is necessary to do a lot more driving but it was OK for the peace and quiet.  I am now living in town but it is still small and kind of those places where everyone knows everyone.  It has grown but still not crowded so I like it.

Tamagno, I started using Netgear for my wireless router and range extender a few years ago and have had real good luck with them.  When we moved here and had cable I got a new Netgear cable router with wireless and it works quite well.  I am not using the range extender here as the signal covers my whole house.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

103 this morning.

I have a Linksys router and until recently it worked fine.  Something has happened in the last week that has altered that.  I can no longer get Netflix on the television but can access it on the desktop.  Can no longer send pictures with text messages on my iphone either, but can send just regular text msg.  I don't have time for this silliness.  I have to help hubby mow lawn today which will be a 5 hr job because it is so long.  We couldn't mow for almost 3 weeks because of either extreme heat or rain.  Not looking forward to this at all.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

Here, routers are normally provided by the ISP. For quite some time we were using internet service from our telephone company. I think they used routers from an Indian company called dLink. However, I think all such equipment is made in China and companies only label them as their own. Now we get our internet from our cable service as this is much faster & cheaper. They've given us a router with some obvious Chinese name.

I struggled with getting a good signal to the theatre room which is on another floor. The least signal loss was by using a Cat5 cable direct from the router. I tried Powerline Adapters to relay signal but that also gave me a substantial signal loss. Finally, our solution lay in taking a cable out of the router and installing another router at the other end.

For normal use and devices like computers, phones the Powerline adapters work just fine. They use your home's electrical wiring to relay signal. If the home wiring is not too complex, it'll give you better results and low loss.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

87 this morning, 103 at bedtime last night.

I am not in the least bit tech savvy.  I have CenturyLink for internet and their router. It is the second one since I moved here. They are very good about coming out for service.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Shanny

We have Windstream, and they supply our router. I can't remember the last time we needed service.

Tamagno

170 this morning.

I go from my modem (supplied by Charter, our provider) to the router, an Apple Airport Extreme and and then Ethernet cables to computers and TVs with Apple Airport range extenders in the living room and one upstairs. Definitely no WiFi signal problems at all as long the router and extenders are working. If an extender goes out as happened recently, WiFi becomes spotty.

There are several new so-called "mesh" routers now being offered in the wake of Apple's announcement that they were getting out. These provide superior WiFi coverage by various schemes but are pricey at around $250 and up and even reportedly extend WiFi to the house yard/deck areas.

Judging by reports, the Google one is best in balance. Beyond the requirement to stay logged into Google, there are two big caveats. One is that it has no USB port which means you'll have some trouble if you're networking your printer. The larger one is that it operates via the Google cloud which means that if either their cloud goes down or they stop supporting the routers you've no WiFi.

Those last two are deal killers for me at least while I can keep my Apple units working. Glad I could sort that out before I laid out the cash...

walkerwally1

84 this morning.  Only 101° yesterday but it is going to warm up now.  Supposed to be 105° today and then 111° tomorrow.
My cable company supplies a modem/router also but they charge $10/month so I opted to use my own.  For cable you have to have a modem made for that so I bought a new one.  I looked at several but decided on the Netgear because I liked the features and was happy with their other products I have used.  I think we tend to go with products we have used before if we are happy with the.  I like the fact that I have dual band wi-fi (2.4G and 5G) and the signal is good all through the house and even outside in the yard.  The modem is a modem and router and has 4 ethernet ports and a USB port.  I don't use the USB port, my printer is wireless and I really like that.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

103 this morning.

I am most definitely NOT tech savvy and I'm not sure how to proceed.  Something happened to my router as I now get a message from my Avast program that my wifi is not configured correctly.  I don't know if I should call the satellite service or muddle through it myself.  It is a quandry.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021