You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

224 this morning.

Seeing highway accidents is awful, Grammabear. Glad the driver at least wasn't killed.

Looks like hot and dry weather starting today and lasting at least the week. I expect it'll be a nice change.

I think Rumaki used to be a popular hors douvre in the 50s, Wally. You turn up all manner of things if you search for recipes for chicken liver including whole sites with recipes for most all organ meats. I'd forgotten how much more that sort of thing is eaten in much of Europe.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

97 this morning.  It is 69° this morning at 7:AM.  I can really get used to this.  Heading to 100° for a high today and I can deal with that. 
I believe that we should eat more organ meat as that is where there are a lot of nutrients that are not in muscle meat but we seem to have gotten away from that. My grandparents used to eat a lot more organ meat but my parents did not.  I was raised never having liver or any other organ meat and never developed any taste for them.  Also, it is hard nowadays to even find them in the store.
I was amazed that living on a State highway there was never an accident near enough to be seen from the house.  Well, except the time a bear ran into a couple on a motorcycle.  I mean the motorcycle didn't hit the bear, the bear actually ran right into the motorcycle trying to cross the road.  The poor girl had a broken leg.  It was a big Harley and the driver did an amazing job of keeping it upright.  The bear kept going and we had to call for an ambulance.  The girl was a nurse at the local hospital and this was their first date !   
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

92 this morning.  And that is after a night of lows then highs and back down to lows again.  Diabetes is so unpredictable.

bigskygal - I'm happy for you to have your yard taking shape once again.  You don't suppose Boo threw up hairballs because he is stressed?  Our cat used to do that.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

94 this cool cloudy morning, 102 at bedtime last night.

Yes, Grammabear, Boo did throw up hairballs along with food. He is a long hair cat so I am use to that...

Winter weather advisory for tonight until noon Monday for the Glacier Park area and Northern Rocky Mountain Front: "Wet snow expected with total accumulation of up to 2 inches with localized amounts up to 8 inches." It is way north of me, but we have rain in the forecast. High today was 64°F. It will be good for fire suppression!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

145 this morning.

I suspect, Wally, that people have gotten too far from the food chain and are squeamish about offal (admittedly can be nasty to clean and prep). Personally, though, I'm finding it's stronger flavors appealing lately and will be keeping an eye out for it. My line is drawn at tripe, chitlens, etc., however.

Curiously, I'm seeing more recipes for using insects in all manner of foods lately. Not sure I could quite manage that, though I have a recollection of eating some chocolate covered bees in Europe somewhere; not bad, but largely flavorless.

I think I'd be going nuts if we had snow in our forecast right now, BigSkyGal! Fortunately, not just yet...

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

105 this morning.

Snow???  Wow.  That seems a bit early but not for the mountains I guess.  We have so much humidity here that snow would never hit the ground - yet.  But it is coming.

My husband said that when he was a boy on the farm, his parents hunted deer, rabbit and raised chickens.  His Mother used all parts of the chicken and made soup etc from the things like rooster comb, feet, liver etc.  To this day he loves venison when you can get it.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

87 this morning.  It was a couple of degrees warmer this morning but still at 75° but heading to 102° today.
Tamagno, yes, you are right that people have developed a disgust for anything that is not the common cuts we see.  I remember my grandmother made giblet gravy from the turkey giblets on Thanksgiving.  I don't think you would find that now.  There seems to be a lot of interest in insects as food and as a way to feed the world.  I think they grind them up and put the result in other dishes.  Not like eating chocolate covered grasshoppers.
Barbara, hope Boo gets back to normal. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

You'd find giblet gravy if you come to my house for Thanksgiving . . . that's how I always do dinner that day. Perfect use for turkey drippings & giblets.  ~yum~

bigskygal

104 this rainy morning, 99 at bedtime last night.

Rained on and off all day, high 61°F.  There was snow up North in Glacier Park. Not a season ending storm as far as the fires go unfortunately.

All this talk of hearts and livers has got my juices flowing. They are both going on my shopping list for this week!! As a kid we had liver once a week as it was cheap. I never liked it then, but with DH#2 and his Hungarian recipes, I really learned to like it. For some reason, I always liked chicken hearts. Maybe from DH#1's mom's Chinese cooking...

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

161 this morning.

No need to wait for Thanksgiving for good gravy; it's so easy to make and yummy on so much.

Looks like I'll be having to brave my long-delayed trip to the big grocery this morning. I'll just go early before the joint's gotten crowded. I did a lot of cooking yesterday, so that's done for a few days but I've got to get staples. Maybe I'll see if the butcher's got chicken hearts...

Grammabear

127 this morning.

No snow here, just a forecast of severe thunderstorms and winds from 40-50 mph this evening.  Not looking forward to that !!
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

85 this morning.  We were at 66° this morning and our high yesterday was 99°  ~clp~
First time under 100° this summer !  Well, not a lot under but, hey it is under.  Should be the same today and then we will be back over 100° but not much.  Looking forward to Fall.
I have stayed away from gravy because it uses flour but I really haven't looked close at the carb count. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Shanny

I make gravy with cream for thickness & extra fat content, and I ditch the flour. I can always cook it down a bit for more thickness.

walkerwally1

Well, that is good to know.  I may just have to try that.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

94 this morning, 98 at bedtime last night.

High today 72°F low tonight forecast 44°F.  Fall is approaching...

Not so impressed with the stump guy. He comes works a bit and then disappears for hours. Not sure if he is going to finish today. I also don't appreciate the bare chest/hairy beer belly look! :o