You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

114 this morning.

AAA has been overloaded around here lately and their call center very hard to get through. I'm sure glad you two were able to get them!

Rocky, I admire your devotion to your Mom and willingness to tough it out; looks like your screen name is well chosen.

Second night in a row I haven't slept well as I keep getting knee pain that only goes away if I'm up and moving. Just as well this morning as the fires had burned out and the house too chilly. Well, there's always tonight to try again...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Shanny

Both of us Ozarkians can certify to aches/pains as easing once we're up & around. Interesting, eh? Our aging bodies wanna keep the blood circulating!

I'm battling a different one this week though . . . TMJ. Don't know what set it off, and while it doesn't affect my eating, it's causing a mild earache, and that's aggravating. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the cause is that I sleep on that side. If so, treatment is going to be darn difficult, because changing one's sleep position is one of those things your body doesn't necessarily allow; as soon as you fall asleep in your new position, your body is apt to revert to the old one without your permission!  ;)

walkerwally1

88 this morning.  Boy, weather predictions depend on who you want to believe.  For today here :
National Weather Service - 20 chance of rain
Accuweather - 55% chance of rain
Weather Channel - 0% chance of rain
So I guess it's take your pick.  Radar shows a bit of moisture to the West but it is not looking like anything will get here. 
Yes, pain can be a real problem with having a decent sleep.  There was a time when my knees were a real problem when sleeping but lately, while walking a problem but thankfully when sleeping not a problem. 
Shanny, I too have my favorite sleeping position, on my right side, and any other position is a problem.  One of the difficulties when I broke my hip was that I had to sleep on my back and I hate to sleep on my back. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

I was a tummy sleeper my whole life until I had to go on CPAP eight years ago. That mask caused me to have to crank my neck just a little farther than it was willing to go in a prone position. So now I sleep on my left side with a thick pillow that keeps my head well elevated and keeps the mask pretty well out of the way.

Grammabear

91 this morning after yesterday with battling a low of 61 and then a rebound high of 275. >:(  I'm hoping today will be a lot more steady.

Shanny - I also have TMJ and when it flares up occasionally, I get some relief from placing a warm, moist compress on the side that hurts a lot.

Rocky - Best wishes in your job hunt and it is wonderful you think of your Mum when you are considering a new job.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

97 (5.37) this partly cloudy morning, 97 at bedtime last night too.

There was just a dusting of snow overnight not the huge amount they predicted. Which is fine as I need to go out tomorrow to run errands.

Rocky, you are such a good son!

Side sleeper here too. Mostly on the left side. When I had my cancer surgery, I had to sleep on my back, especially while I still had the drains in. Did not like it at all!!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

165 this morning.

TMJ is interesting. Having spent a lifetime as a professional singer, much of it in major cities and worrying over such things, I never even heard of it until moving to Connecticut where it seemed an epidemic (yes, I know all the old jokes about "Connecticut Lock Jaw). While I doubt it's the problem for you all, it often could be traced to things like chewing gum addiction or the like, not sleep position.

The muscles involved are those holding the jaw closed and it can sometimes be at least somewhat relieved by massaging them gently with a couple of fingers just forward of the juncture of the jaw. Other related musculature at the sides of the neck and just under the jaw can be similarly relieved.

Those who are aware of clenched jaw and are assiduous, can perform exercises to help relax by some simple exercises with the voice. Speaking "bee-dee-bee-dee-bee" and "kai-tai-kai-tai-kai," for instance, rapidly and fluently can help.

Generally speaking, native English speakers seem to have grown a bit lazy with word pronunciation in modern times and are naturally finding less motion throughout the vocal process including lips, tongue and jaw which state of affairs exacerbates the problem.

Call me if you want voice lessons...

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

102 this morning.

John - Your information on TMJ is most interesting.  I was a gum chewer when I was younger and had to stop right away once TMJ was diagnosed.  It helped me a lot but never knew of voice exercises that could also help.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

93 this morning.  It is cooler as predicted but certainly not cold with a high today expected to be 55° (12.8°C).  There are many on this list that would consider that to be warm.  Actually for here at this time of year it is warmer than normal.  No rain in sight and fortunately there is not any expected in the mudslide areas.
Tamagno, I have never had a problem with TMJ but that is really interesting. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

Other things that can contribute to TMJ are plain old arthritis, erosion of the joint and - of course - injury.

I know I wasn't injured in any way, and I'm now beginning to suspect arthritis. During the first few days of this flare-up, the muscle contracted so strongly I couldn't clench my teeth.

The only other time this happened to me was 20 years ago after a week in the Bay area which I had spent devouring the chromium-plated, fully-illuminated genuine authenticated ( ;) ) crunchy chewy San Francisco sourdough bread at every opportunity. I booked with a periodonist after we got home, but by the time my appointment came around, the TMJ had resolved on its own.

bigskygal

Snap Wally! 93 (5.15) here this morning too! 89 (4.93) at bedtime last night.

Interesting info John! No TMJ here but I have been a grinder for a long time.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

rocky

Quote from: bigskygal on January 20, 2018, 09:43:21 PM
Snap Wally! 93 (5.15)

Snap again. 93 here as well, 2nd day in a row.

Today is a Sunday but I have 2 informal meetings set up in the quest for a new job. I thought I'd log in first for a quick Hi before I leave.
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

131 this morning.

Good luck, Rocky!

Hard to believe my firewood is nearly gone. That's a solid seven cords in three months and I could easily use at least another 3-4 cords to get to spring. Of course, my big stove has been running almost continually all that time.

Yesterday I had a chance to try the Trusteel infusion set the Tandem rep sent. Even with the shortest cannula, it's 90 degree insertion angle just isn't going to work for me, unfortunately. I did get it inserted, but I just have no subcutaneous fat and I had to replace it with the angled Autosoft set after a couple of hours. I'm just going to have to get better at using those as I don't see any alternative unless I go back to MDIs which I really don't want.

Grammabear

124 this morning after a low of 50 last night.

It is currently raining here and it looks like it will continue for awhile.  We can use the moisture as we are behind in that for the current year so far.

John - It is hard to find a infusion set that suits each person.  Talk to your Tandem rep about an angled set that is inserted manually - unless you prefer the auto insert ones.  Maybe a manual set would work better for you.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

102 this morning.  Not unexpected as I had Pizza last night.  Homemade with LC Pizza crust but still a bit more carbs than I normally take in for dinner.  But it was really good so I can deal with a bit higher bg.   :D
Really would like to see more rain but there is none in sight for the next ten days. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023