You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanny

An unfounded fear, as it turns out.  :(

Tamagno

137 this morning.

Instead of an air fryer, I'm opting for a small deep fryer ("Fry Daddy" is good, and cheap). It uses only small batches of oil that can easily be saved in the frier and re-used. The instant pots are very popular these days as are slow cookers. The other big deal out there is "sous vide" cooking which involves cooking in special bags by boiling. Everything depends on what you cook and how much time you want to spend. Mostly, I prefer keeping my counters clear of extra appliances that can be used only for a couple of things and really just use a couple of pots and pans for the majority of cooking; usually it winds up just as good.

I understand from my wife and various other docs that corrections to medical records are often difficult to make. There are a large variety of regulations involved (especially where Medicare is concerned) and changes may result in large fines to providers. I find my own records are often inaccurate, incomplete and misleading and have not yet found a way to stay on top of them.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Tamagno

I was mistaken about air fryer articles at Fine Cooking. Here, however, is a good link:

https://pin.it/topgnx454r5gf3

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

123 this morning.

I hesitated to try and contact the clinic where I go simply because they recently were 'merged' with a very large medical system and the errors since the merger are huge.  But I took a chance and sent a message via patient portal and believe it or not, someone actually answered.  I requested a phone call and they obliged.  The nurse went through each "correction" I had for them to make (she didn't seem very happy but still obliged).  It remains to be seen whether the corrections will be accurate or if it is an ongoing issue.

Tamagno - Keeping the kitchen counters semi cleared off is a problem for me too as I have a small kitchen and too many gadgets.  I must decide which ones to keep and which ones to dispose off.  One gadget that will be staying is my coffee maker.   ;D
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

95 this morning.  It looks like it will be warmer the next few days heading to 90° on Saturday.  We are going to see a big drop on Nov. 1 and should be around 70°.
It's easy to get my doctor to correct something but the Hospital is another story.  To get my medication record corrected I had to submit an order to the records department and it had to be approved.  When it was corrected they sent me a registered letter informing me of the change.
Thanks for the link Tamagno.  So much of the items are things I would not try to eat but some look OK.  Like you said though there are other ways to cook them. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

I use my cast iron skillet a lot like a deep fryer by keeping the oil about an inch deep & just frying things in one layer. If I were cooking for a family, it would be inconvenient, but when it's just us two, one layer makes two large portions, and that's plenty.

Grammabear

Quote from: Shanny on October 24, 2018, 10:23:31 AM
I use my cast iron skillet a lot like a deep fryer by keeping the oil about an inch deep & just frying things in one layer. If I were cooking for a family, it would be inconvenient, but when it's just us two, one layer makes two large portions, and that's plenty.

Do you ever run into problems when cleaning your cast iron skillet, for example after you have used it for making scrambled eggs?  I must not have conditioned my old skillet correctly as eggs stick to it like glue - almost.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Shanny

Well, my skillet came from my mom & prob'ly her mom before her. With that much seasoning, nothing sticks to it. It never leaves the stove top, I cook everything in it, and nothing ever sticks. There have been times I had to wash it with soapy water, but even then nothing ever started sticking in it. I noticed the cleaning lady washed it the other day and then just left it dry on the stove without re-oiling it, and that doesn't even faze it.

bigskygal

97 this partly cloudy morning, 104 at bedtime last night.

Thanks for the link Tamagno. I couldn't find anything at Fine Cooking. Yes, a lot of the things are not on my menu, but there are a lot of things that would work well for me. One being a nice rotisserie cooked cornish game hen...

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

215 this morning.

Wildly varying glucose readings this morning from 178 to 287 depending on which meter I choose to believe. I'm just going with the middle one...

Cast iron likes to be used to stay slippery as well as the "seasoning." I like mine, but it's too heavy so I mostly use a stainless steel one that works great and cleans easily.

My wife likes fried chicken and French fries both of which do best when deep fried. I've tried making them many times with different methods in the convection oven, but never get the same crunch, especially with sweet potato fries. Frying in oil on the stove is fine, but uses a lot of oil and makes too much mess for just two people. Deep fryers solve both those problems.

One time many years ago we were staying at my in laws house while they were away and I over heated the oil in a frying pan and it caught fire. What a mess! Thankfully, I managed to get the fire out before it got to the cabinets or worse and got it cleaned up, but the briefly horrifying thought of confessing to burning down their kitchen definitely got my attention.

Grammabear

104 this morning.

It seems a bit colder outside today with  temperature of 34 deg F. 
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

87 this morning.  Not cold here with 86° for a high yesterday and heading to 87° today.  I am enjoying the Fall weather so far.
Tamagno, that is scary.  Thankfully it came out OK.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

93 this morning, 108 at bedtime last night.

Tamagno, when my kids were young, maybe 11 and 13, they were at their dad's after school. One of them put a pan of oil on the stove to heat up a snack. They forgot about it and it caught fire, burning the stove and cabinets above. Luckily the fire dept was just a block away and they got there fast. No one was hurt, but the kitchen was trashed. No one told me for about a couple of years about this... I was really pi$$ed at my ex and I am sure he told the kids not to tell me.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

127 this morning.

Doubtless we all have done any number of thoughtless things, but one you don't want to have to tell others is that you burned down their kitchen...

The chimney sweep is coming this morning to clean and inspect my wood stoves. After the furnace guys have done annual maintenance the first of next week, I'll be officially ready for the cold. Usually start burning wood the end of October, so this is about on schedule. I just need to change the oil and make sure my snow blower is running and everything is done. Now I have only to get my mind to accept the realities of winter.

Grammabear

55 this morning.

Nothing like a blood sugar low to roust you out of a nice warm bed and sleep was doing so well......:(

Several miles down the road from us there is a 'heat-treating' plant and they had a fire/gas leak last night.  There was a steady stream of emergency vehicles such as firetrucks, ambulances, and other vehicles going by our house for the best part of the evening from after supper until midnight. 

I must get our winter blankets ready for the cold that has already arrived.  Not quite ready for hats, scarves and gloves though.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021