You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

R.I.P Boo.

Barbara, you've been a wonderful caregiver and done all that you could. Hope you return back to normal ASAP.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

Thanks skb, that is exactly what I did. Chicken broth with an egg stirred in like egg drop soup. Feeling better but still so sad.

DD sent me a link to MT Humane Society and I fell in love with a sweet female calico much like one we had when the kids were little.  May be too soon....

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

148 this morning.

Grammabear, so much seems to depend on where my insertion set is as well. If it's not a good spot, it's a real problem and almost any food raises glucose which doesn't come down with just another bolus. I really hate those late night set changes! Hope you're able to get back to your Humalog.

BigSkyGal, I can relate to what you're going through right now. My Sam was diagnosed with a brain tumor a few weeks ago and is declining rapidly. I'm not at all sure how much longer we've got with him as he's sleeping constantly, not eating well at all and is growing increasingly incontinent. Well, neither of us is like what we were 14 years ago when our days started with a four-mile walk before going off to work. It seems we've grown old and infirm together...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

73 this morning.

It is very foggy this morning, but considering what other parts of the country are getting for weather, foggy doesn't seem so bad at all.  The East coast is forecast for a very bad storm system.

Tamagno - I spoke with the pharmacist from Walgreen's yesterday and she said my application for Novolog was approved by Medicare.  I guess I will believe that when I have the bag in my hands.  Yes indeed, site placement is really important as is how many days I leave the set inserted.

Bigskygal - My husband and I made the same decision about our cat several years ago.  Only we came home from our weekly grocery shopping to find that she had left for the Rainbow Bridge while we were away.  I felt so sad that I didn't get to tell her good-bye.  I'm sorry your Boo will not be with you in his physical state, but he is no longer suffering. 
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

94 this morning.  I meant to mention it yesterday but sad to hear that Penny Marshall passed away.  Laverne and Shirley was one of my favorite shows in it's day.  It is said she died from complications of diabetes but it is not known it she had type 1 or 2.  She was 75 years old.
Barbara, I understand and you do need time to mourn your loss.  On the good side he had a long life for a kitty and you had all of those years with him.  One of the sad things about having to put down the dog we had was that she was so young.  I think when you are ready you will get another.  I am so glad we got another dog She does fill an empty place.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Carbcrazydog

Quote from: bigskygal on December 18, 2018, 10:20:07 PM

Tomorrow at 3PM Boo will make his last visit to the vet. She says I can hold him as he is administered the meds. All of this has dredged up all the pain of losing my DH 21 years ago...That pain never totally goes away. Boo will die in my arms as did DH... :'( :'(   :'(

I logged in after long and saw this. I am so so sorry. I have been through this 2 years back and i remember breaking down so bad. I adopted my other dog a few days later and we later realized she is a senior dog. She is now 10 years old and her hearing and sight is deteriorating. I am terrified on going through it again. I read so much on Quora before i put Peejoo down 2 years back and one advice stayed with me where someone had asked if he/she will regret putting the pet down. A vet replied that "In my experience, the regret is always of not doing it sooner than you decided to do. As pet parents we hold on as long as we can and finally till our hope dies. In retrospective, people always feel they should have done it sooner" I agree with that now. Not that it makes it easy but it will never be as hard as it is today.

Tamagno- we connected our dogs when we started talking on the group. And you sent me a pic with your dog. I remember it like yesterday. We are all not what we were years back. But i know for your dog that it is a life worth lived.

"And I'll take with me the memories to be my sunshine after the rain.
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday."

Grammabear

Carbcrazydog - I like your post, especially the last sentence.  Two weeks after our cat went to the Rainbow Bridge, we realized that our dog was soon to follow the cat.  It was not an easy experience.  Your last sentence will give me something new to think about - thank you.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

90 this morning, 97 at bedtime last night.

It is so quiet and empty feeling here. The weather is fairly nice so that is good.

Yay! The plumber fixed my water situation and my plugged up sink! Partly my fault as I didn't have the filters changed on schedule. I am not able to crawl under the house to do it...  The plumber will come out and do it every 4 months so I should be golden in the future. Pump guy came out to check it and all is OK there. Wow, running water at every faucet and toilets that flush w/out me filling the tanks!!  A good day despite my sadness.

Thanks CCD that last sentence really hits home for me.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

104 this morning.

Major rain here overnight and continuing (thank God it ain't snow), but our stream is flooding which it does once in a while. It never makes it up to the house, but is starting to come up over my foot bridge. No telling just how it'll rearrange things.

Grammabear, I think you meant to type Humalog (?) and I do indeed hope you get it.

Good to hear from you, CCD! I trust all is well in your part of India?

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

106 this morning.

Tamagno - I was on Humalog from 2003 - 2005.  Then because Novolog seemed to work better with the OmniPod I was switched to Novolog.  The OmniPod did not work well at all for me, so switched to Medtronic Revel and continued with Novolog.  I made the switch to Tandem Tslim pump in 2015 and continued with Novolog which seemed to work much better for me.  However in August 2018, the powers that be decided they did not want to pay for Novolog any longer and dictated I switch to Humalog which I did.  I was on Humalog from August 2018 to December 2018.  I saw my GP on Dec 11, 2018 and presented her with downloads from Tslim showing how much more insulin I used with Humalog than with Novolog.  She said she would file an appeal and we would have to wait to see what "insurance" decided.  Yesterday I received a phone call from the head pharmacist at our local Walgreens store telling me that my appeal for Novolog had been granted.  So my hubby and I drove to the store to pick up my insulin.  I checked the price receipt and there is a $150 difference between Humalog and Novolog, so I guess I can see why insurance wanted to save money. 

I don't know why my body doesn't do as well with one insulin but does better with the other.  It is a mystery to me, but I am grateful to have the chance to use Novolog once again.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

101 this morning.  I had a hamburger patty last night with grilled onions.  Yes, onions are a bit carby but they sure were good !   ;D
We are supposed to be heading to 72° today so pretty nice here.
Good to hear from you CCD.  Thanks for stopping by.
Barbara, well, at least that is some good news. 
Today is the winter solstice and the first day of winter for the northern Hemisphere.  The days will start getting longer now but it is also probably going to get colder. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

102 this cloudy morning, 89 at bedtime last night. Light dusting of snow overnight. Snow in forecast for Monday and Tuesday, but that can change at any time as we all know.

Yes Wally, it is sooo good to have water again. It is like a little miracle.

Picked up Boo's ashes today. Amazing how tiny the tin is. 3" x 3" x 1.5". It is sweet with purple flowers on the lid. Purple is my favorite color so it is perfect.... Still very sad and it is so lonely.

Tamagno

150 this morning.

Grammabear, for some reason, my insurer insisted I switch from Humalog to Novolog a few years back. Go figure...

Unseasonable warm weather came along with our rains yesterday and much of the day was in the upper 50s. That, of course, won't last but we won't drop back below 30 until late tonight. Nice while it lasted!

I'm back on my campaign to make sure Dexcom gets my order of sensors and transmitters in before the end of the year - I've paid all my deductibles for the year and if they miss it it'll cost me a great deal. Naturally, I've had this order in for well over a month, but my experiences haven't been great. They've assigned me a personal rep who I'll be e-mailing and/or calling everyday until then.

If any of you use Pinterest, searching for insulin pumps or anything diabetic will produce some very interesting articles.

Carbcrazydog

Thanks Tamagno. ALl good here. Hectic on the work front though.

bigskygal, GrammaB, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb2NW3QfonI here is where i got that last line from.

Grammabear

69 this morning.  This will be part of my routine for a few days until I get through the transition from one insulin to the former insulin.

Barbara - So  very glad your plumbing situation and the water situation have both been resolved.  Yes, indeed, it is  a blessing to have running water and working toilets.  Maybe they are small items but definitely appreciated.

We went on our weekly grocery foray yesterday and the store was absolutely a 'madhouse'.  We were both so glad to get out of there and return home.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021