You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

102 this morning.

While I don't avoid vegetables or fruits, I do know which ones make my blood sugar go higher.  For me it is mostly a wait and see process.  If I eat a particular food item and it makes my blood sugar reading go lots higher, then I know it is probably not a good food item for me.  For example, I have an issue with eating nuts.  Each time I eat them I end up with a much higher reading about 4-6 hrs later.  Sadly I either have to avoid them completely or eat them in teeny, tiny amounts.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

76 this morning.  We got to 109° yesterday and it looks like that will be the norm for the next few days at least.  Well, normal for here this time of year.
Sugarcoated, yes reducing carbs is a very effective way to control your blood sugar.  Your body turns carbohydrates into glucose as soon as you eat it and with diabetes we just can't handle a lot.  How much is different for everyone and the only way to know is to test after eating.  I try to keep my carbs at 25 grams or less for a day and it really is not hard.  With that I was able to stop using medication to try to keep my blood sugar normal. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

Swapping out carbs isn't as hard as you might think, once you realize you can eat all the bacon you can swallow!  ;) 
Here is a list of some of our favorite recipes just to get you started . . . http://recipecircus.com/recipes/DiabeticPub/

And this dish is particularly decadent . . . just make sure to stick with the basic part and leave out any and all pasta. You can de-carb just about any dish just by  deleting the pasta and/or rice.

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/DiabeticPub/POULTRY/Chicken_Scaloppine_ala_Macaroni_Grill.html 

bigskygal

98 this rainy morning, 93 at bedtime last night.

Sugarcoated, a  really good resource to learn how to control your blood sugar is Blood Sugar 101  http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/  It was written by a diabetic and I am pretty sure most of us used it as our first reading material.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

rocky

Hello everyone,
How have you been doing ? It will take me some time to catch up with all the posts that I have missed. I can see some new entrants here  `8)

96 today morning.

@sugarcoated, all the advice given is spot on. I can vouch for that, as I was a new comer just like you and the advice here transformed me.
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

165 this morning.

By the way, Sugarcoated, if you follow this thread you may notice both Grammabear's and my fasting glucose fluctuating rather more than most others. It's simply because we're type 1 diabetics and are using insulin pumps to help control. Unfortunately, diet alone won't do it for us but it's worth noting that without strict carb control things likely would be much harder.

Rocky, it's always terrific to see your posts and I'm glad to see you back! What's the news in your life?

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

90 this morning.  It hit a high of 106° yesterday and it is supposed to get to 107° today but it started out at 69° at 6:00 AM and it was 77° yesterday same time so we will see how that goes.
Hi Rocky, good to hear from you.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

139 this morning.

I am so very tired this morning in spite of getting 9 hrs sleep last night.  Anyone else ever have a night when you feel you don't sleep 'well' for no good reason?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

111 this sunny morning, 105 at bedtime last night.

Nice to see your post Rocky!

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

122 this morning.

I'm up early today to get my wife down to her eye surgery at 6am. Today's procedure is quick to insert a tiny gas "balloon" to help repair a hole in her macula. While we'll be getting back fairly early, irs likely going to be a long and hard recuperation as she'll be having to totally rest with her head down or work for two weeks. The doc says it'll take a month with no vision in that eye. It'll be good to get this over with.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

97 this morning.

Tamagno - I hope your wife's recovery goes smooth.  It sounds like a unpleasant experience over all.  :(

Yesterday was a beautiful day where you could sit outside IF you were covered with mosquito repellent.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

80 this morning.  Temp back up this morning at 77° at 6:00 AM heading to 107° today.
Grammabear, yeah, my Fitbit does a very good job of detecting and tracking when you are asleep and when you are awake.  It is interesting when you think you got 8 hours of sleep and find that you were awake maybe 1-2 hours of that time. 
Tamagno, hope everything comes out well for your wife.  It sounds like an ordeal but it will get better.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

109 this sunny morning, 111 at bedtime last night. Allergies are kicking in.

John, keeping you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy uncomplicated recovery.

Tamagno

128 this morning.

Thanks for the wishes and prayers all, my wife appears so far to have done well with her surgery. I expect she's pretty uncomfortable, but has been managing to get a fair bit of sleep even on her stomach with her head in this awful device that keeps her head down. We'll go back this afternoon to have the surgeon (picture a young, thin Peter Lorre, with the exotic first name Armand) check his work.

You know, my Fitbit seems reluctant to display my sleep records. There are a few tricks to get it working, but they're cumbersome as the best seems to be removing and reinstalling it via the app. After that, it'll display the record, but then I question its accuracy. My tech blogs are filled with a steady stream of news of improvements so I figure at some point they'll get it sorted out and I'll get a new one. Meanwhile, it at least gives you a sort of baseline to look at once a week when it e-mails the records.

walkerwally1

99 this morning.  Not bad as I had potato salad last night and it again did not raise my bg too much.  The weather remains consistent and it looks like there will not be much change for a while.
Tamagno, interesting as my Fitbit seems to do a very good job of tracking my sleep.  It downloads to my iPhone but it also syncs to the app on my desktop computer.  I really like the desktop application because you can get a detailed view of all of the items.  Every day it shows a detailed picture of the nights sleep and when awake and how deep your sleep is.  It's on the phone app too but a lot easier to see on the desktop.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024