You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

Snap !  Barbara and Rocky, 94 for me this morning also.  I think the wind is over for a couple of days and then from 60-100 % chance of rain Wednesday, depending on which weather service you choose.
I agree with Tamagno, I think T1 and T-2 are two different diseases.  A T-1 cannot ignore their glucose levels and must take insulin or suffer immediate consequences.  A T-2 on the other hand can go on for years not paying close attention to their high blood sugar and the damage that is being done does not seem noticeable.  The bad thing is that the damage is being done and eventually, when it is apparent, the result is the things we wish to avoid.  For many this is too late.  Years of bad management will take their toll. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

117 this morning.

Yesterday was a perfect Spring day with lots of sunshine and a gentle wind.  My husband and eldest son rented a power saw and took down 4 trees that were dead on our property.  I rather think the both of them enjoyed being outside.

Wally - Thank you for your expression of how things are different for T1 and T2.  My late father was T2 and totally ignored his glucose levels for the most part.  When the damage became evident, it was too late to help him and he passed away. I now have a sister who is T2 who seems to be following his footsteps in spite of knowing differently.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

88 this drizzly morning, 92 at bedtime last night.

Just a light dusting of snow this morning followed by some light rain. High was 44°F (6.67°C) today. Fortunately not enough moisture to mess the road up too much.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

110 this morning.

Right as usual, SKB; the more we find out about human anatomy the more incredible we know it to be.

I can't for the life of me understand our thought processes, however! Why in the world so very many type 2s ignore their diets is beyond me. That said, I've been to some chat rooms at which I've read numerous posts by type 1s admitting to skipping insulin and/or shutting down their pumps. Often out of simple vanity as weight loss occurs pretty quickly. Naturally, they pretty quickly suffer quite a few nasty effects.

Our capacity for delusion is every bit as great as our capacity for truth and knowledge...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

86 this morning.

Could have stayed in bed an extra hour this morning.  Seems like I want more sleep these days.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

91 this morning.  We had a high temp. yesterday of 68° with no wind and it should be the same today.  There is a big storm arriving Tuesday evening through Thursday.  Heavy rains expected in some areas and once again there is fear of mudslides in the fire burn areas.
Tamagno, I blame our health providers for at least part of the problem.  For 20 years I followed my doctors advice and did everything I was told to do.  That was :  take your medicine ( glipizide and metformin), test no more than once a day, occasionally test about an hour after a meal and it should not go over 180, the only things to avoid eating is sugar and refined flour. All vegetables are OK except white rice (brown rice is OK) so enjoy potatoes, corn etc.  Doctor only looked at A1c and as long as it was under 7% "you are doing great" and when I told my doctor that an hour after a meal my bg was over 300 he just shrugged his shoulders.  This included an all day class with a CDE with the same diet information.  I trusted my doctors so I didn't look for any different information.  After all, they are the professionals, right ?  It wasn't until my A1c kept going higher and my doctor had no answer or help that I started to do my own research and found out that a significant change in lifestyle would make a huge difference.  I have another friend that found out he was T-1 and his doctor advised him to eat anything he wants as long as he covers it with insulin.  So, yes, people need to do more for themselves often, but the health community needs to do a better job of informing the patients of the consequences and how to properly prevent them. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Wally - I agree with your feelings about healthcare professionals needing to do a better job of informing patients of the consequences.  I have a GP who is not allowed to 'officially' talk to me about low carb way of eating.  She is required by the healthcare system she works for to "spout" the official position which is the ADA way of eating for the most part.  I listened to the "official" way of eating prior to LCHF and gained almost 100 lbs.  Sad part is I've never been able to get it off.  Some Doctors want to do the right thing but they aren't allowed to if they want to keep their job.   >:(
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

94 this partly cloudy morning, 85 at bedtime last night.

I agree, the medical profession is hobbled by their hospital's protocol/ins regs/ADA rules/Medicare rules. There is a method, lc/hf, that can control diabetes, but they can't talk about it because it doesn't bring money in for big pharma or the hospital...

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

144 this morning.

Well, sadly, you all are right on all counts regarding medical advice and diabetes. Hearing all the government-mandated nonsense daily from my wife I'd say we'd have to add them to the general mess of conspirators.

I'm glad for the Internet in this way, though, as there is now a great deal more information readily available if you've the presence of mind to sort through the garbage. Additionally, it affords us the ability to easily purchase most anything needed for healthier eating habits.

I'm just always looking for more effective ways to get through to people. Anyone who spends any time at all here can find great advice on managing their diabetes if they can be convinced to come look. That said, I still have to admit that it took me over five years of experimenting and research before I was able to get my glucose anywhere near stable - perhaps I'm simply obtuse!

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

86 this morning.  Nice day yesterday, about 70° and no wind.  Expecting about the same today but cloudy. Rain is supposed to start tonight and be here through Thursday.  This is expected to be a big storm rain wise and they are making it a mandatory evacuation near the recent burn areas. 
I guess I kind of went on a rant but it does upset me when I think of how my diabetes has been treated over the years.  I do know that many doctors, CDEs etc. are required to adhere to the ADA doctrine by their employers and I expected that when I was with Kaiser.  I also had doctors that were independent that followed the exact same dogma and I think mainly because it is easier.  Back when I was diagnosed internet access was not like it is today.  I didn't even have a computer.  I am glad that at least that part has changed and better information is available.  I just wish doctors and the like did a better job of informing their patients of the importance of doing a better job of bg control.  All of the time I was trying to control my bg with meds and having highs in the 300+ range and lows that kept my A1c in the 6% range I was told I was doing "great" even though I told my doctors I had times of quite high bg.  I'm not sure if it is indifference or ignorance.
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

walkerwally1

I forgot.  Today, March 20, is the Vernal Equinox and the first day of Spring for the Northern Hemi.  Happy Spring all and for those in the Southern hemi. happy Autumn.
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

Grammabear

96 this morning.

Does anyone have problems with neuropathy in their feet, and if so how do you manage it?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

89 this mostly clear morning, 97 at bedtime last night.

skb

Quote from: Tamagno on March 20, 2018, 05:23:30 AM
I'm just always looking for more effective ways to get through to people. Anyone who spends any time at all here can find great advice on managing their diabetes if they can be convinced to come look.

Been struggling with that ever since the forum was built. The last few enrolments have not spent enough time here to even read through a single page. We can get a horse to the water, but we cannot make it drink.

Quote from: walkerwally1 on March 20, 2018, 10:20:07 AM
I guess I kind of went on a rant but it does upset me when I think of how my diabetes has been treated over the years.

No problems, Wally. That is why we are here and we have a good set of ears. Happy Autumn to you too.

Quote from: Grammabear on March 20, 2018, 11:06:12 AM
Does anyone have problems with neuropathy in their feet, and if so how do you manage it?

Before I was diagnosed I had some trouble with my legs, specifically the calf muscles. Once my numbers settled down, it resolved on its own. Never had any recurrence. Don't even know exactly what the problem was, but a scan did show circulation problems.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Carbcrazydog

117 today morning. I went on a 4 day vacation with my in laws, husband and kids to a beach. It was so pristine, beautiful and hot! I am totally sun burnt but was worth it.

Its my birthday tomorrow. And i start metformin tomorrow.

I read somewhere that extended use of metformin results in irreversible kidney damage...That worries me. I am the youngest here. And assuming i live till 75, i am not even half way yet. Any thoughts?