You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanny

My impression has always been that metformin can be damaging for people who ALREADY HAVE impaired kidney function. I've been on it for several years and my kidneys are still fine.

And Happy HAPPY Birthday! <3 <3 <3

Tamagno

157 this morning.

Neuropathy is a terrible problem for me, Grammabear. My neurologist pricks me with a pin when I see him but I can never feel it anywhere but my head at this point. I've tried the usual meds including Lyrica, gabbapentin and the pain-reducing anti-depressants, but the latter does nothing and the side-effects of the others are too extreme. Mostly, I've grown accustomed to the pain and ignore it. Best I can do is try to pay close attention to avoid cuts, etc.

CCD, happy birthday! I wouldn't worry about Metformin and kidney damage. Far more likely you'd acquire kidney damage from extended high glucose than from Metformin.

Well, we're scheduled for yet another big snow fall starting some time this morning. Surely the last gasp of winter!

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

skb

Quote from: Tamagno on March 21, 2018, 05:04:28 AM
CCD, happy birthday! I wouldn't worry about Metformin and kidney damage. Far more likely you'd acquire kidney damage from extended high glucose than from Metformin.

Very valid point.  ~hi5~
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Grammabear

98 this morning.

When I was diagnosed in 2003, the doctor said Metformin would protect my kidneys but he also said nothing about extended high blood glucose numbers which I had. I have avoided serious kidney damage for quite a few years.. Now the kidney doctor is the one who advises me to 'keep my sugar under control' and 'continue with Metformin'.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

84 this morning.  The storm system slowed down a bit so the rain is just west of here right now.  Still a lot of worry about the burn areas as this could definitely cause mud slides.  I see they are predicting up to a foot of snow for the North East United States.  Stay warm Tamagno.
CCD, I have been taking Metformin for 25 years.  I think the benefits far outweigh any problems.  For me bg control is job 1 and that is where i focus. 
No  neuropathy here and I hope to keep it that way but I don't have any idea how to treat it.  I hope you get some help. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

88 this partly cloudy morning, 86 at bedtime last night.

Temps mild here, no rain in the forecast for days. And that is just fine with me!!

Happy Birthday Paulomi!!

I have some numbness in my feet but it is more related to the bulging discs in my low back than diabetes.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Carbcrazydog

Thanks everyone. We had a lovely time cutting cake and the spending time with kids.

I appreciate our thoughts on metformin and today night will be my first dose. I have been thinking about my dad a lot since the past few days. I hope he would have been proud!

Attached pic- the kids could not wait for us to light the candle.

skb

That looks like a yummy cake. No wonder the kids are diving into it right away. You can't blame them for not wanting to wait for 37 candies to be planted and lit up.

Have a great day.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

99 this morning fasting.

Best wishes ccd. Also wished in the other board. Have a great year ahead.
My life is based on a true story.

Tamagno

169 this morning.

Boy that cake looks great, CCD; I bet you had a great time with your kids and family!

Up here, yesterday's huge snow storm fizzled to nothing at all - less than an inch at most I'd say. Naturally, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. It was actually kind of amusing to check my weather apps throughout the day and compare them to what I saw out the window. Most of this winter they haven't been so wildly inaccurate.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

98 this morning.  We got a light rain mostly all day yesterday.  There was a break where the sun came out for a bit around 8:00 AM and then back to a light but steady rain.  Today is supposed to be the peak of the storm and the burn areas are in the most danger so hope all there are safe.  Mandatory evacuations are in effect for a large area.  Here it looks like another day of light rain.
Yes, happy birthday CCD.  Some people have some gastric problems when they first start Metformin but it usually goes away before long.  I never did have any problem and started with the highest dose.   
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

120 this morning.

I found that for me at least, taking the extended release version of Metformin helped ease the gastric distress I had when I first started.  Also, it helps to take it with food.  Best wishes and hope it works well for you.

We have that 'white stuff' forecast for Saturday and I sure hope they are wrong on their forecast.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Shanny

I also take the extended release version of metformin, and I take all of them at once at bedtime. Sometime or another, I mentioned to my doc that I was taking it all at once, and he said as long as I was doing that, I may as well use the extended version, so that's how it's been for years. I kinda remember I may have had very mild diarrhea the first few days I took it, but never anything worse than that.

Met is prob'ly the most effective and least damaging remedy for diabetes there is, and it's certainly the cheapest - at least in this country.

bigskygal

83 this overcast morning, 93 at bedtime last night.

Few drops of rain today even though none was in the forecast.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

159 this morning.

Well, my preferred breakfast is oats in my coffee so I bought some steel-cut ones to try. Of course, the cooking time is supposed to be much longer and I did mine about 20 minutes, so I'll be finding out shortly if it'll work or not.

Grammabear, there's also snow in our forecast this weekend but I'm hoping it'll be wrong again...