You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanny

My large Irish family used to be a lot like that . . . each one raising his/her voice more to be heard over the others. Now that we're all older, there aren't so many large reunions, so somewhat less shouting . . .  ;)

Grammabear

134 this morning.

Along with the increasing Summer temperatures of 97 yesterday, we have a bumper crop of mosquitoes.  I can no longer be outside unless I am covered with mosquito repellent.  I hate mosquitoes. 
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Shanny

You might be able to combat the mosquitoes by putting up some bat houses . . . we have a small colony of bats in our cave & I haven't seen a mosquito in years.

Just google 'bat house' and there'll be scads of hits.

walkerwally1

81 this morning.  We only made it to 86° yesterday but it is headed to 95° today.  We were at 69° at 6:00 AM so I believe we will get there. 
Today is Memorial Day in the USA to honor our fallen and it is also the starting of grilling season for most people.  Last night we had grilled steak and lobster tails.   ~hgr~

Really good but today it is going to be burgers.   ~bbq~
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Quote from: Shanny on May 28, 2018, 09:28:40 AM
You might be able to combat the mosquitoes by putting up some bat houses . . . we have a small colony of bats in our cave & I haven't seen a mosquito in years.

Just google 'bat house' and there'll be scads of hits.

Having bat houses would be most welcome.  I am one of those weird people who over reacts to mosquito bites.  I have at least a half dozen bites now and most are the size of a silver dollar.  I can't seem to find anything that relieves the constant itching.  I've tried aloe vera, calamine lotion, OTC anti itch cream and nothing works.  I also take a 24 hr antihistamine, Claritin.  Sigh........ :(
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

99 this partly cloudy morning, 100 at bedtime last night.

Yesterday when I went to my friend's house, I found out that the meal was originally supposed to be at her sister's house but the mosquitos were so bad there we went to the other house. They have swallows there as I do and lots of other birds that eat the mosquitos like fiends. You have to be careful when you go out at dusk here as the birds are dive bombing devils!! And I have water on two sides of my house this time of year.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Grammabear

Quote from: bigskygal on May 28, 2018, 06:38:39 PM
99 this partly cloudy morning, 100 at bedtime last night.

Yesterday when I went to my friend's house, I found out that the meal was originally supposed to be at her sister's house but the mosquitos were so bad there we went to the other house. They have swallows there as I do and lots of other birds that eat the mosquitos like fiends. You have to be careful when you go out at dusk here as the birds are dive bombing devils!! And I have water on two sides of my house this time of year.

When my husband was growing up on the farm, he said his Dad encouraged the barn swallows to nest close to the barn.  They kept themselves busy diving for the dang mosquitoes.  Sure would rather have the birds dive bombing than the mosquitoes biting me all over the body.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Tamagno

171 this morning.

Like BigSkyGal, we're surrounded by wetlands, but over the years usually have a lot of predators including bats that seem to love my attic where they use the roof vents for entry/exit. (Naturally, I'm inclined to refer to the latter as "bats in my belfry.")

Speaking of bugs as well as Wally's mention of the start of grilling season, yesterday's grilling included a manner of pest control I'd not seen before when a big carpenter bee (fat and easily 2" long) committed suicide by literally diving into my hot barbecue goals. Perhaps they've become prone to severe depression...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

93 this morning.  We got to 95° yesterday and it is supposed to be 98° today.  I believe it as it was 72° at 6:00 AM.
We had mosquitos up on the mountain but down here on the desert floor I haven't seen any.  Not missing them at all.
I have heard about retrograded starch before but never actually tried to see how I reacted to it.  My BIL made potato salad over the weekend so I thought it would be interesting to give it a try.  I have avoided potatoes like the plague since I started low carb but It sounded like it would be worth checking out.  I ate a cup of the potato salad for lunch and then checked my bg each hour after for 4 hours and I was surprised.  I checked before eating and was at 93 then one hour after it was 110, 2 hours 101, 3 hours 98 and 4 hours 82.    I think I can put potato salad back on my diet as long as I keep portions in line.  It may be interesting to see if this works with other things like baked potato and rice.  According to what I have been reading the potatp and rice starch is the most affected with retrograding.  All that is required is to cook it and then refrigerate over night.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

112 this morning.

We spent yesterday planting perennial flowers in spite of the heat and humidity.  We're tired today.

Wally - Potato salad is also on my list in limited amounts.  But should I get "generous" in my serving size, up goes the blood glucose.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

Yeah Grammabear, portion size is the key to so many things.  A little is OK but too much is a problem. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

105 this partly cloudy morning, 119 at bedtime last night.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Shanny

Thanks, Wally, for the retrograding info! I'll be trying this, because I sorely miss my potatoes!

skb

I think the problem is if you reheat refrigerated and cooked potatoes or other starchy food. That reheating process activates the resistant starch and the result is elevated BG.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

170 this morning.

During my current weight-gain campaign I've been trying to actually add carbs, particularly potatoes and pasta, to help. While I generally can eat only very small portions of the stuff, the addition of my new pump makes it more manageable. SKB's point regarding reheating is well taken, but not an issue with seasonal cold salads.

Grammabear, it was hot here yesterday and I got some time outdoors in it. I'd say this morning's FBG is indicative of a resultant rise in glucose.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost