You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

79 this morning.  Still the same temp. wise but it is cloudy today and there is a chance of thunderstorms all week.  Humidity may be a problem because it reduces the efficiency of the cooler but it is never as humid as some people have to deal with. 
Barbara, 88° would be just fine with me right now !   ~hot~
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

112 this warm morning, 111 at bedtime last night.

Yeah Wally, this born in WI girl raised in Oakland, Ca just can't take the heat! You are made of stronger stuff than I am!! I'm melting every day it is over 85°. Today was 94°f... Watching Last Alaskan on TV hoping it will cool me off...

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

157 this morning.

Glad you're back, Grammabear; I figured you were likely busy with guests and am glad everyone had a good time!

Speaking of bratwurst, I'm planning on grilling some this afternoon. I don't believe I've ever actually had any and am curious to try it. In looking around, I see the preferred method looks like either cooking in a bath of beer and onion or doing it before grilling. I've got some beer gathering dust in the basement and think I'll give it a try. Should be fun regardless.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Shanny

I think you'll like it, John. It's one of my favorites, and our local grocery makes their own recipe which I especially like. If we have the charcoal grill going, they're especially good grilled like that, but I usually just heat up the cast iron skillet & grill 'em there, since it's getting rarer that we use the charcoal grill. Brats are just a nice mild sausage that goes with everything!

Grammabear

90 this morning.

Speaking of 'brats' that was high on the menu at our place over the weekend.  Grandson absolutely loves cheese.  At the market where we shop, they offer a whole section of different brands of brats.  So I looked for cheese brats and found them.  Hubby grilled them on the charcoal grill we have.  We sent some of the leftovers home with son and grandson. 
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

99 this morning.  Well, it cooled down a bit, only 107° yesterday and supposed to be 103° today.  I found a graphic showing the difference in the heat index depending on humidity.
[attachment id=0]
It doesn't start until 40% humidity so it doesn't apply here because it is high here if it is 30%.  It does really make a difference in how the heat affects you.

A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

I've tried cheese brats too, and found them delicious. I think the brand was Cheddarwurst.

Grammabear

Quote from: Shanny on July 10, 2018, 12:26:12 PM
I've tried cheese brats too, and found them delicious. I think the brand was Cheddarwurst.

There might be more than one brand of Cheddarwurst or something like it, but grandson is a 'picky' eater.  His favorite foods are cheddarwurst, macaroni and cheese, and grape Gatorade, bacon - all the stuff (except bacon) that might not be on my list.  Shanny, you said you do your brats in the cast iron skillet?  Do you poke them first or boil in beer?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Grammabear

Wally - your temperature just 'sounds' very uncomfortable.  I hope you get a break in the heat pretty quick.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Shanny

Quote from: Grammabear on July 10, 2018, 04:34:35 PMShanny, you said you do your brats in the cast iron skillet?  Do you poke them first or boil in beer?
I fry them in the skillet just like I fry any other sausage/hot dog - just slap 'em in there & turn on the heat. They'll eventually split or burst if they need to let out steam - I don't worry about poking or pre-boiling. There's nothing different about brats - they're just one more sausage & I'm a sausage LOVER!

skb

And it has been raining very heavily here disrupting normal life. It rained in June and July has beaten all records. 860 mm (that's almost a Meter) rainfall in the first 10 days. To top that a low pressure system is developing, which could inundate the city by Saturday.

No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

113 this again warm morning, 106 at bedtime last night.

Not hot for a lot of you, but too hot for me!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

159 this morning.

An interesting graphic, Wally, and one that rings true.

SKB, I doubt I'd be enjoying that rain much!

As for bratwurst, mine came out really good. I decided to slice mine in half for smaller portions and discovered they were uncooked. That worked out well as they then got poached on a bed of sliced onion, garlic, Cajun spices and crushed red pepper with a bottle of Beck's. By the time the brats were cooked, the skin came off and I took them out to save for grilling. I then cooked the onion and beer mixture further in their pan until the beer was reduced and the onion caramellized. To that, I added a large dollop of mustard, some sour cream and a bit of sucralose, making a rich, spicy sweet topping for the brats. Later I grilled the brats over charcoal with chunks of pecan wood making a nice smoke. Their outsides charred and caramellized quickly. Without intending braggadocio, I'd say the result was exceptional and worth the effort!
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

100 this morning.

skb - Is there any grave danger of flooding in the city where you live?  Will you have to evacuate to higher ground?

Tamagno - It sounds like you have a first class meal after all your efforts.  We even like them as 'leftovers' the next day.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

89 this morning.  It was a bit cooler yesterday but the humidity is up.  I know it sounds stupid to complain about 25% humidity but it really is noticeable in hoe it affects the cooler.  Same weather today and tomorrow with a chance of thunderstorms but then back to lower humidity and 107-108° temps.  SKB, that is a whole LOT of rain.  Hope you are OK.
The cheesy brats I buy are called "Beddar with Cheddar" made by Johnsonville.  I like to cook them on the grill or fry in a pan.
Tamagno, that was a lot of work but it sounds really good.
Grammabear. yeah it is quite uncomfortable if you are out in it during the day but I stay inside most of the time.  Sadly there was a mail carrier that died Tuesday in Woodland Hills near Los Angeles where it was 117°.  The little delivery trucks they drive are NOT air conditioned and her son said she had heat stroke previously.  Even here where that kind of temperature is common their delivery trucks have no air conditioning.  The Federal Government gets away with that while a private business is required by law to have air conditioning in their vehicles.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024