You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2018

Started by skb, December 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

176 this morning.

I'd never tasted Hellman's before I moved to New York City and have always found the flavor odd as I guess my mother had always used Miracle Whip (extra sugar in that, I think). Shanny, your recipe is very similar to several others I've seen and I think the basic formula of egg yolks and oil with either a little vinegar or lemon juice is pretty much it.

I wouldn't have thought of using an immersion blender but am going to try it. Seems to me it'll be easier to use and clean than a blender or food processor.

I grilled a couple of slices of Spam last night that I'd marinated. Certainly not bad in a hammy sort of way, but no great revelation. Likely be good in eggs of some sort.

Today, my wife is returning to work after her eye surgery (seems to be working, thankfully). I'll definitely enjoy being home alone once more!

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

77 this morning.

We're having more hot and humid weather.  It was 90 deg F last night at 10 p.m.  Thank goodness for air conditioning although I can remember when I was a child we had only a window fan.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

101 this morning.  Not bad since I had a chili-cheese burger (no bun) last night with a few French fries.  A bit more carbs than I normally eat but it was sure good ! 
Grammabear, we were at 92° at 10PM last night also, heading to 108° today but the humidity is going down and should be around 20% today.  The cooler does run about 24 hours a day here in the summer though.
Tamagno, there are several videos on YouTube on using an immersion blender to make mayonnaise.  One thing is that you don't have to slowly add the oil, you put everything in and then start at the bottom and slowly raise the blender when it turns white and thick.  I have never liked Miracle Whip, I guess it is what you are used to that forms a lot of our likes and dislikes.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

I think a LOT of people confuse mayonnaise with Miracle Whip, and I don't like MW either. Even as a child, I could tell the difference, and was decidedly unnerved when the neighbors always called MW 'maynaise' and it was no such thing! But what REALLY unnerved me was that they made their ranch dressing mix with MW . . . that was horrible!

We had one small fan when I was a child - it was about a foot across. Eventually we got a window fan. I gotta tell ya, hot summer nights out on the Nebraska plains were miserable!

bigskygal

103 this warm morning, 105 at bedtime last night.

Ewww, I hate MW too!! I notice there are new ads on TV for Heinz mayo and also Dukes. I think Dukes is an East coast product, not sure about Heinz. Heinze makes a sugar free ketchup I get on netrition.com that I really like.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Shanny

Making mayo is so easy I can't imagine why people would ignore it. One egg, one cup oil, lemon juice & salt. I don't even bother separating the egg . . . using the whole egg just makes more good stuff!

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on July 14, 2018, 10:02:02 AM
Tamagno, there are several videos on YouTube on using an immersion blender to make mayonnaise.  One thing is that you don't have to slowly add the oil, you put everything in and then start at the bottom and slowly raise the blender when it turns white and thick.

This is exactly what I overheard a couple of days ago, in a discussion between Ami & my ex sis in law.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rosyblue

Cool.

What do y'all thin is the best fasting numeral. My doc says 125 should be good. I'm not much over that. Usually 140 ish.

Tamagno

150 this morning.

Interesting all the Miracle Whip haters out there and makes me wonder just what develops all our food likes and dislikes. I'll be sure to try all your great immersion blender tips next time I make mayo.

By the way, speaking of easy and better, I took a couple of cups of unsalted peanuts, almonds and cashews yesterday and sautéed them with some butter, salt and pepper. Only takes about 10 minutes and the taste is much better if they're something you keep around for snacks. Next time around I'll add some cayenne and sucralose.

Lots of thunderstorms and rain last night (which we need). Don't know if there's more coming today or not...

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

98 this morning.  It looks like the weather is going to be quite consistent for the rest of the month.  Daily highs around 106-108 and no rain but low humidity and that is all normal.
Tamagno, yeah, it seems like people that like MW really like it and people that don't like it really don't like it.  My BIL really likes MW but he also likes mayonnaise for things like potato salad so we get along there. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

75 this morning.

We had light rain yesterday which our garden definitely needs.  The humidity is beyond reality here.  Not very comfortable at all. 
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

96  this warm morning, 97 at bedtime last night.

When I run out of my mayo stock, I just may try making some...you're convincing me Shanny...

rosyblue, my goal is to always be below 120 and 100 if possible. At 140 damage can begin to your body, so you should try to stay well below that number.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

212 this morning.

Well, yesterday wound up all out of sorts. In the end, I took two naps before I got to feeling vaguely normal. Not really sick, you know, just exhausted and drained.

This morning's FBG isn't encouraging and I'm hoping I'm not fighting something off. Hopefully, things will improve today and I'll be back to my much-loved routine.

Last evening we dined al fresco with a few friends. Turned out to be the usual cook out fare with corn on the cob and potato salad the featured side dishes so not much terribly palatable and likely didn't help anything much even though I had no corn and only a bite or two of the potatoes.

Never ceases to amaze me the quantities of carbs in general consumption! People ate large portions ending with Boston cream pie and ice cream...

walkerwally1

92 this morning.  Just staying inside and trying to keep cool. 
Rosyblue, you should try the website  Bloodsugar101.com where you will find answers to a lot of your questions.  Jenny Ruhl has done considerable research on diabetes and the treatment for it.  She has a book out by the same name and it is well worth getting.  There are a lot of factors to take into account before deciding what are good numbers for you.  First of all we are all different and other factors matter.  Are you taking medication for your diabetes ?   It matters and doctors are worried about going too low if you are taking any medication to lower blood sugar. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

105 this morning.

My doctor has suggested that sometimes depending on the oral medicines taken and the age of the person it is wise to have a little higher fasting number.  I aim for 100 but often times I am under and sometimes I am over. 
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021