You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Enzyme responsible for Neuropathic Damage

Started by skb, January 14, 2018, 05:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Scientists have been able to identify the enzyme responsible for Neuropathic damage. They made this discovery During research on Neuropathic damage caused by chemo drugs used to fight cancer. It turns out that the same enzyme is also responsible for diabetic neuropathy.

https://mdibl.org/press-release/mdi-biological-laboratory-discovery-could-lead-to-new-therapies-for-diabetics/
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

walkerwally1

I can see where this would be a real breakthrough for people that have no choice but to go through chemo.  On the other hand I think it is treating the symptom and not the cause for a diabetic.  It seems to be a common thing to put all diabetics in the same group and no distinction between a person with good control and a person with poor control.  You can be diabetic and still have good blood sugar control but it is not recognized.  My doctor believes the same, all diabetics are going to have the same problems regardless of bg.  She bases this on the patients she treats but she has said that there is not one patient that has as low of an A1c as I do.  Apparently there are very few diabetics that have good bg control so we are not considered as typical and ignored.  While my doctor has said she has no other diabetic patients with as low of an A1c she has shown no interest is what I do to control my diabetes.  Sadly this seems typical.  Until doctors learn how to help patients to control their blood sugar and keep it in normal ranges then treatments like this will be the only way to treat the complications of diabetes but is sad that they have to put the cart in front of the horse.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

I think if I were you, I'd query this doc as to why she isn't interested in how you maintain your good A1c. Either she isn't interested in utilizing your methods with her other diabetic patients, or else she knows how you do it, but she doesn't realize it's something that CAN be utilized with her other patients.

I can't really say whether my doc has moved to prescribe LCHF for his other diabetic patients, but I know he's adopted it for himself - and likely his wife who's diabetic.

I know when I first adopted LCHF, my doc fussed and told me I was going too low-carb, etc., etc. But when he saw the next round of my numbers, he became a believer in a hurry! As we say here in the Ozarks . . . his mother didn't raise no fool. ;)

skb

Quote from: Shanny on January 15, 2018, 12:04:59 PM
Either she isn't interested in utilizing your methods with her other diabetic patients, or else she knows how you do it, but she doesn't realize it's something that CAN be utilized with her other patients.

I can't really say whether my doc has moved to prescribe LCHF for his other diabetic patients, but I know he's adopted it for himself - and likely his wife who's diabetic.

I know when I first adopted LCHF, my doc fussed and told me I was going too low-carb, etc., etc. But when he saw the next round of my numbers, he became a believer in a hurry! As we say here in the Ozarks . . . his mother didn't raise no fool. ;)

Quite true. As a doctor (which is a scientific occupation) when they see evidence why it doesn't intrigue them or tickle their grey cells.

I have a nephew married into a family of doctors. His wife is a doctor, both of whose parents are doctors, and the grandpa and grandma are also doctors. Both the father & grandpa are diabetics. They know that I belong to the tribe, I take no medication, have good control on my numbers based on diet alone. Yet, everytime we've met there is a stoic silence on the subject and no one has ever asked me the why's and how's.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Shanny

walkerwally1

Don't get me wrong.  I do like my doctor.  While I am surprised that she has shown no curiosity about how I am controlling my blood sugar I do understand why doctors do not try to promote carb restriction as a treatment.  First they are not given the time to really do it effectively.  A 15 min office visit just is not sufficient to tech lifestyle changes.  Second, most doctors are employed by an institution that requires them to follow certain guidelines and must follow ADA guidelines for diabetes.  Third, a large percentage of patients are not going to be interested.  Just "give me a pill" and let me go on my way.  Fourth, doctors are not trained in carb restriction as a viable treatment.
I do think that this is doable for a CDE because they have the time to spend with patients and could do this as a group but right now they are required to follow ADA guidelines and have no training for something like LCHF.  The system prevents doctors and diabetes educators from straying off of the ADA path.  We are seeing changes but it is slow.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"